Thursday, April 10, 2008

 

separation point - Thursday Apr. 10, 2008

today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

walk report: 0C/32F, but for a degree or two, would be a steady rain shower; instead, on the fine line of freeze/thaw, deluge of sticky-white; Gusta chased rabbit tracks and came back wearing a thick white carpet – she, like me, found extremely good traction in what could easily be treachery; a glimpse of beauty I’d not seen before as streetlight cast a shadow of branches with buds, now snow coated, the shadow dancing on the fresh white ground, light breeze moving it slightly - what was a dull, dirty and bare branch starkly wishing for leaves yesterday, coated white this morning, casts a spectacular shadow

this snow, this wet snow, offers winter grunge a spring cleaning and fresh moisture for parched soil, but it brings calm too

‘If there be light, then there is darkness; if cold, heat; if height, depth; if solid, fluid; if hard, soft; if rough, smooth; if calm, tempest; if prosperity, adversity; if life, death.” – Pythagoras

day ahead an errand, task and purging blur – day behind, resolved that I need more than spring cleaning and culling (ah, the by-product joy of tax season) of things not fit for keeping, selling or giving away; thoughts roll in my head about the notion of not starting anything new unless I first end two things; I am starting something new which deserves an investment of new-time – the challenge then, is what two things will I discard from my attention, omit from routine or purge in a green trash bag?

of all things I do, a good portion matter a lot, some matter less, some far far less – but, as I review the ones that matter far less, nixing them seems easy; with each file tossed, each ‘once upon a time great purchase’ discarded, there seems to be some ponder time; in some cases, it is just an instant – quick mix logic/nostalgia collision - I debate whether an old shirt or rarely worn tie deserve the same or less deliberation than a 2 inch thick file I’ve not done anything with for over a year; sometimes just recognition of wasted decision, sometimes reflection on opportunity squandered

like this morning’s weather, many things in my life rest a moment on the cusp of the separation point - rain/snow, keep/throw, do/avoid, spend/save, work/play, wake/sleep, save/delete, forward/back . .

I sat yesterday with my dad meeting with his physician, discussion and paperwork of choices (and what to do if circumstance leaves one unconscious in need of a decision) I saw a picture of how delicate is that cusp, separation point between well/unwell, breathe/DNR; I wonder, when Pythagoras wrote his brilliant words if he was watching the fragile health of his father, I wonder if he was having a good day or a bad one, I wonder if he was keeping treasures or throwing out wasted trash, I wonder if he was looking back on what he’d done with contempt for some stupid moves or optimism about brilliant ones just ahead – I am certain the answer is ‘all of the above’

Mark Kolke
338,848
196.2

... with your voice, teach in order to learn


What do you think? Join the discussion - comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
mark@markmusing.com

©2008 MaxComm Communications

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?