Tuesday, April 15, 2008

 

doing it anyway - Tuesday Apr. 15, 2008

today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

walk report: 1C/34F, clearing, steady north breeze; ‘early light’ delivered by daylight saving allows me to walk earlier each week without fear of tripping in the shadows; bird songs filled the pre-dawn void, Gusta seems restless (to say nothing of her walk/bathroom demands at midnight and 1AM) this morning

I’ve considered the question of whether I am ‘fully developed’, a term I first heard as a teenage boy when it was used to describe teenage girls I wanted to make time with, but now it seems to have taken on new meaning

researching ‘adulthood and maturity’, I found them defined as ‘the period of time in your life after your physical growth has stopped and you are fully developed’

I hope not

if I write an idea I might be seen the fool to those who don’t agree, the idiot to those who don’t know me but I will be doing it anyway and don’t care whether it is fully developed because throwing pixels, bits and bytes of ideas around sounds like a food fight I want to be in, after which I don’t have to clean up debris of dangling participles and spelling errors that were deleted or ‘sent to trash’ . . . come to think of it, where do deleted words go?

like energy, maybe they never disappear, reincarnated as a text book somewhere else in the world or shipped via RSS feed to some far away planet’s landfill site

I can’t make time – on a good day I scarcely manage to think about managing it – so it often appears to manage me; yesterday a new project took 5 hours (I was robbed at mouse-point), then Gusta took an hour I’d not counted on losing as time taken must come from the same 24 I was given – no borrowing past wasted time or leveraging my future waste; of course each choice is mine but when choices build on choices built on a choice foundation it gets me doing auto-responses to things that appear urgent, hopefully, without losing track of what is truly important

if, for arguments sake, the smartest thing (lets pretend there is indisputable proof) was to do something or to not do something, would we all do the smart thing? . . or, if it was a danger, would we all avoid it?

that seems so easy, we should all be the school kid with arm stretched high begging to be called on because we know ALL know the answer to that one; to say nothing of the dangers, just imagine the volume of time we waste on these destructive activities

smoking, living in an earthquake zone, taking drugs, drunk driving, hang-gliding, appearing on a reality show, eating fries with gravy - to name but a few; these seem to be unquestioned dangers yet we (not me, but lots of you) do these crazy things in crazy numbers which is just crazy, which seems to help prove that living leads to death, but we go on doing it anyway

thinking is dangerous but not so dangerous as not thinking, living is dangerous too but not so dangerous as not living

I’ve no time to think about this more right now so I am done

Mark Kolke
338,728
199.2

... with your voice, teach in order to learn


What do you think? Join the discussion - comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
mark@markmusing.com

©2008 MaxComm Communications

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?