Friday, April 11, 2008

 

Apr. 11 responses



Re: obsessed or merely determined - Obsessed or determined, eccentric or weird, what does it matter? You are who you are and today’s musing rocked! And don’t ever lower your expectations! Here is a quote that I read over twenty years ago and have never forgotten: “Far better it is, to dare mighty things, than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who never know victory, nor defeat.” Theodore Roosevelt, SF, Calgary
...
Re: obsessed or merely determined - I have three thoughts on Obsession or determination. #1 Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated –don’t know who said it but I like it #2 In life you get what you want. Otherwise you never really wanted it, you just liked it. I said it and totally agree. #3 is a story about a man called Dan Gable arguably one of the best wrestlers in American history his High School and College record combined was 182 wins with just 1 loss. That loss came in the last match of his senior year of college in the NCAA Division 1 National Championship Finals, ouch! Dan, with whom I have met personally described to me that he was devastated by the loss, but in fact he detailed it was one of the best things that ever happened to him. According to him it made him “refocus” (by the way this is one focused man, to begin with). So, Dan takes that loss and soon after begins to train for the 1972 Olympics in which through the entire trial process and the entire Olympic tournament only one opponent score one point on him and he goes on to win the gold medal utterly dominating the competition. The next day in the Olympic village Dan Gable’s roommate Ben Peterson awakes early that morning to find Dan gone. Around 7:45 am Dan comes in dripping in sweat and Ben says to Dan “hey where the heck have you been”. Dan replies oh “I got up early and ran 6 miles”. Ben says “wow, Dan you just won the Olympic Gold Medal last night why don’t you give yourself a break.” “Nah nah, I can’t”, replies Gable “I have to start training for world games!” Dan Gable never made it to world games because of an injury, but instead went on to Coach Iowa and become the greatest coach in college history. Winning 15 Division 1 National Championships in 20 years. I am sure everyone called him a mad man and when you meet him he is quite mild mannered. Personally, I think one is mad not to want that type of level of success in their life regardless of their pursuit. Lastly, it is often said that the sane man appears to be twice as insane in the insane society. Take for example Copernicus and that whole the sun is the center of the universe theory - has to be out of his mind let’s kill him. Only took 600 years for everyone else to catch up, but eventually the sheep always do. Best wishes always, AN, Largo, FL
...
Re: obsessed or merely determined - Hi Mark - It might help if you defined "obsession" as being concerned with "it" to the exclusion of all else. There, now you don't have to worry anymore. ch, Chimacum, WA
...
Re: obsessed or merely determined - The terms "passion" and "obsession" illustrate the complexities and fine nuances of the English language (although they may have exact equivalences in others). That this subject has been laid on my doorstep today arouses my response, since my experience as a physician gives me a little insight into clinical psychology. I think in the truest sense, the only difference between what the two terms describe is one of degree only, unless one wants to go on to Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Another distinction is that passion can be momentary, while obsession is more permanent. As for me, I have experienced both. I have been passionate about chess, my vocation and other things. I continue to be obsessed about whether my debit card is in my wallet (I've lost it twice), and keep checking. Madness? Not quite, in my case at least. Henry Moore seems to have been a fortunate man indeed, EG, Calgary
...

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to mark@markmusing.com
©2008 MaxComm Communications

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?