Wednesday, March 26, 2008

 

pivotal moments - Wednesday Mar. 26, 2008

today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

walk report: -9C/17F, clear, sun rising - chilled cheeks pressed into the breeze at a quickened pace (Gusta welcomed that) as my ankle recovery progresses; a Mallard got a grip on a high spot to roost, guard-like atop a steep roof, waiting for some potential mate to communicate I suppose

no more a day of ‘new approach’ as it is one of ‘old approach’ - issues need to be tackled and solutions found; I tend to push hard to get things done for clients while at the same time I often push aside troublesome issues, to be dealt with later of course, and later, and later still when later arrives, sometimes with a thud; business is steady, some ‘sure things’ that never were did not come to fruition and some great things are just taking a lot longer than expected – couple that with more optimism than I ought to have sometimes and it makes for difficult challenges; chickens (or maybe ducks) come home to roost

today, as they all are, is a choice day; choice as in primo-fantastico, choice as in a series of decisions on how to move forward, backward or just to stand still; I’ve made a lot of changes in activity/focus/goals over the last year - clearly I need more; taking time for things I’ve been postponing/neglecting has been a focus these last few months; teeth, health and the condition of my feet for starters but also re-focusing on core business, reducing the breadth of focus to concentrate more effectively on those things which generate the best opportunities, best revenue and cutting costs of things I cannot afford – maybe it is the weather – maybe it is facing challenging elements of reality

I get impatient when things do not come to fruition as quickly as I want, frustrated when things I’ve counted on fail to materialize and the knocking on the door is not a new opportunity but a chicken coming home to roost; some things get me up, others beat me down – abundant obstacles, whirl-of-day easily creates a mirage to confuse the mix of best opportunities, best route to go, right thing to do – of owning truth and its consequences

the inexorable pace of nature teaches a steady relentless unwavering consistent pace is the way the world works – notwithstanding the pace of nano-seconds flying around – the stage of life I am at, if I listen to advertising, ought to be for slowing down; whether or not this is an ‘unfortunate’ circumstance, I need to work, work hard, go hard and not give up because I don’t have a pile of money or pile of plans to get some . . so working rather than easy retirement is my next phase of life; in many respects I believe this is good but not without its problems, choices and consequences – this is truth

in writing a speech recently I made reference to ‘pivotal moments’ in life as ones we often see clearly, but only in retrospect; sometimes though I think we can see and feel them happening; today feels like one of those, not for solving everything or anything, but for pivoting

Mark Kolke
339,208
197.4

... with your voice, teach in order to learn


What do you think? Join the discussion - comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
mark@markmusing.com

©2008 MaxComm Communications

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?