Thursday, February 28, 2008

 

praise for frozen peas and PB - Thursday Feb. 28, 2008

today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

walk report: -3C/28F, Gusta owns no responsibility for pulling at the wrong moment, fresh wet snow (still falling) blanket obscuring ice beneath, still falling, would still have brought me down – slow-mo calamity inevitable (a guy fell on the same spot 5 minutes later notwithstanding my warning) – crumpled my carcass to earth but only after propeller-like leg movements moved some air around, one pound at a time, starting with my right ankle, stranded by a soccer field 3 blocks from this keyboard where I awaited PB’s rescue (thank you!) ; we witnessed two falls on the short drive back from the fall scene

rehearsing is repetition, hopefully with modifications for improvement each time; I remember three years ago, in similar conditions, flat on my back wondering why I didn’t have my cell phone with me in case I couldn’t get up or make my way home

frozen pea ice-pack clutching my ankle, I know stumbles and falls aren’t planned or fate – falls and lessons, like most things in life, come when they come – whiz by and are easily missed, so what am I meant to pause on, think on, write on now?

I’ll buy tape and truss the ankle, otherwise I doubt I’ll lose productivity today – doubt I’ll reschedule much - but I know for sure I’ll be thinking differently than if I hadn’t fallen

walking can be hazardous to health, as can not walking; today’s ego-ectomy could only have been prevented by not going out because a different route had the same risks laid out before me, waiting for my arrival and fall; sprawled helpless in the gutter, traffic going by – another walker falling – dog anxious to romp; drivers did not stop, driveway shoveling folks couldn’t spare time to say ‘hey you there, you - on the ground - are you OK?’

I’ve learned from my dad’s experiences in recent years, falls are not something to take as lightly at this stage of life as I did when toddler-hood morphed through sports and countless other tumbles toward maturity - but it seems I’m still falling

rehearsal is great if we know what we are preparing for but most of life is not done according to plan or a schedule – it seems that way every day, but every day it seems everyday things alter the course, mess with the schedule and bring new things into focus

today’s lesson for me may be about staying inside in cold weather, but I think not; not about walking or falling or rehearsing, I think more about noticing others not noticing, wondering how often that was me walking by or staying silent when someone was having trouble, in need of assistance

Mark Kolke
338,856
199.8

... with your voice, teach in order to learn


What do you think? Join the discussion - comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
mark@markmusing.com

©2008 MaxComm Communications

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?