Friday, February 29, 2008

 

observing leap day - Friday Feb. 29, 2008

today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

walk report: -4C/25F, clear, Gusta breakfasting after backyard romp-a-round; my ankle tightly taped, then tightly wrapped in frozen gel-pack, I took a walk-without-dog around the crescent, sidewalks bare and dry, no leaping for me, local rabbits observed me, puzzled to see me walking (shuffling is walking) without rambunctious yellow dog pulling me off balance; examining my first severely sprained ankle by twisting it in every painful direction possible, the doctor observed it would have hurt far less if I’d just broken it – now, 25 years and many sprains later, doctors are similarly unsympathetic and they hurt (the sprain, not the comments) just as much

we leap to conclusions, take leaps of faith, leap (some folks) over icy patches . .

‘Oh the wild joys of living! The leaping from rock to rock . . . the cool silver shock of the plunge in a pool’s living waters.’ – Robert Browning

in hospital for observation, my dad is observing the nurses, doctors, equipment and rules while they observe him, standing by waiting for a reoccurrence of severe abdominal pain they can’t figure out; meanwhile, I’m observing my amazing dad; he’s not rich in monetary terms but he regularly shows me a wealth of skills and grace I will likely never match

retired working guy – he never had grand ambitions, never leapt to conclusions or radical action; his recipe for success was just his work ethic, integrity as taught by his dad’s example, a smile, and a tendency to keep things to himself – I’ve been observing him do that consistently for the 56 years I’ve known him

when I called to check on his condition an emergency room nurse effusively launched into a testimonial about what a sweetheart of a guy he is and what a pleasure it is to take care of him; no caregiver has ever said that about me

a leap day holiday would be a nice idea – one day every 4 years, a holiday for observing leaping in its many forms; no leaping today, I’m just observing - maybe I’ll find a way to be nicer

Mark Kolke
338,832
198.9


... with your voice, teach in order to learn


What do you think? Join the discussion - comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
mark@markmusing.com

©2008 MaxComm Communications

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?