Tuesday, February 26, 2008

 

I got change - Tuesday Feb. 26, 2008

today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

walk report: -5C/22F, clear, sidewalks bare, blood and adrenalin flowing, we walked twice our usual distance, a change of habit - Gusta rolling on her back in the frozen yard, wiggling like she’s trying to molt - massage effects a byproduct I suppose

I paid for something the other day with cash (they didn’t take cheques or credit or debit cards) – I got change

‘All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsions, habit, reason, passion and desire.’ - Aristotle

‘Habit is stronger than reason.’ – George Santayana

they say - habits once begun rarely change; I’m not talking about smoking or drinking or another vice; habits, norms, how we do stuff, how we treat people rarely change; what we started with stays with us – in part from the comfort of feeling ‘normal’ but more from the discomfort that comes with efforts to change

they say - habits change as much as people do – not much, habits are so ingrained they are auto-response things we have our minds and bodies trained to do; changing is not difficult intellectually, but changing habit is a huge mountain to climb

they say - acceptance of things as they are, especially ones we cannot change, is a good thing; simple in theory when it involves others, but acceptance in self and in our children (seems appropriate to struggle with nonetheless) can easily be described as futile because clear thinking and clear vision get twisted up somehow as we deal with confluence of tasks, plans, objectives and things labeled GOAL - constantly obscuring our view of our true goal

they say - youth is wasted on the young; reading that or saying it rings more true as each year goes by, not because I see talent wasted more or less than before but because I see reflected in others so many examples of how I squandered opportunities, so many examples of how habit kept me on tracks different than those leading to what I wanted

that’s what they say . . .

hard to separate, I’m reviewing my habits and routines – measuring how they connect to my goal

I got change coming

Mark Kolke
339,004
199.4

... with your voice, teach in order to learn


What do you think? Join the discussion - comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
mark@markmusing.com

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?