Tuesday, February 19, 2008

 

comfortable - Tuesday Feb. 19, 2008


today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

walk report: -3C/26F, a fuzzy moon through clouds made it feel like I was seeing double; snow banks shrunken, another freeze-thaw day of road ice mess between sidewalks that are passable but with icy patches, Gusta just happy to be roaming the streets while everyone sleeps

today is a new day, beginning of a short work week and – for many – a new day of comfort/discomfort, a new way, a new place, a new stage, a new phase, a new project, a new job, a new home, a new relationship – each thing that is new takes us on a journey of discomfort in search of perceived comfortable reward down that road

bumpy rides are good, though smooth pavement around sharp curves is nice – but speaking generally, comfort does not comfort me, the prospect of comfort does not appeal to me – life in a basement room would be fine if that was all I could manage – comfort is not about dreams of it or comfort enjoyed or comfort found

of comfort enjoyed beyond a luxurious hour or weekend or thinking about it, comfort isn’t so comfortable; I like comfort, comfort is easy - I enjoy it immensely, but, like the morning- after a too-much- fun night, morning comes; comfort comes in many forms most of which don’t matter to me; sure, I can enjoy fine things but they don’t make me think, thoughts of comfort do not stimulate my brain as much as they affect my lazy-bone

comfort, and thoughts about it, shouldn’t take me off my plans, away from my goal or outside my comfort zone, but it does – I have to remind myself to not get too comfortable, because some icy patch in the road inevitably shows up – if I am comfortable it will send me skidding, but if I am uncomfortable I feel better prepared

when I take a moment during a week’s work, I wish for uncomfortable weeks with comfortable weekends, uncomfortable months when O/D at the bank means ‘on deposit’, uncomfortable years with uncommon experiences, uncomfortable life with a butterfly along for the ride – but when I find myself dreaming of wealth and riches, when I imagine fineness and luxury, when I imagine what it would be like to live like a king or a captain of industry or a wealthy heir . . . then I wake up

I have all the comfort I can handle – a fair share of discomfort too, a balance I suppose like driving down the centre of a narrow road, avoiding ditches on either side – passable with icy patches

Mark Kolke
339,172
199.6


... with your voice, teach in order to learn


What do you think? Join the discussion - comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
mark@markmusing.com

©2008 MaxComm Communications

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?