Wednesday, February 20, 2008

 

676 on my way - Wednesday Feb. 20, 2008


today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

walk report: -6C/20F, clear and calm as morning rose, icy patches continue to dictate the walk/nimble/leap world I walk on – Gusta struggled to race ahead at the sight of a retriever jogging too fast the other way for catching up today, no doubt dreaming of future tries with better results

so much of life is fast, instant and disposable - things we’ve done before get done the same old way we’ve done them before whether 10 times or 10 thousand times - reflecting on last night’s experience I’ve been humming an old tune this morning, but somehow it seems new

things I’ve done a first time are experiment – too often I think, new things got discarded after too few tries because they didn’t work; if it doesn’t work, toss it aside, replace it and move on with strong emphasis on the ‘move on’ part

parts of it worked, parts will be tossed aside, some parts need fixing, some parts need realignment, somehow I’ll get that joke in the middle to work - I am trying to weave some concepts, connect, motivate, grip, grab, inform, entertain and be effective in delivering my message – so I’ve taken my goal stick on a road trip, working my 7 minute speech for upcoming competition

humbling - putting it mildly – but I had a good time, I really did; I attended 676 as a guest last night; 676 (Twin Rivers Club) was the 676th Toastmasters Club founded; started in 1948, this one is an experience every Toastmaster should share, to say nothing of having your speech evaluated by someone who has been at it for 41 years - the membership is diverse, eclectic and dynamic; I got feedback I was seeking, support and harsh critique too, coming away with a reinforced respect for process – many thanks to SS for inviting me, congrats to WT for masterful chairing

the tune I can’t get out of my head – from Frederick Loewe’s Paint Your Wagon -

Where am I goin'?I don't knowWhere am I headin'?I ain't certainAll I know Is I am on my way

Mark Kolke
339,148
199.5


... with your voice, teach in order to learn


What do you think? Join the discussion - comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
mark@markmusing.com

©2008 MaxComm Communications

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?