Monday, January 14, 2008

 

what did you expect? - Monday, Jan. 14, 2008



today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

walk report: 1C/34F, overcast, calm; black squirrels tag-a-long the top fence rail as we walked, Gusta couldn’t keep up as I expected - walking slow –as receding snow left so many more smells exposed than expected, each one needing to be examined thoroughly

I go through my day witnessing familiar things, I see each one as an expectation of mine or of someone else where I and I alone have bought into that issue, item or action - but I woke up this morning expecting something different - that IS what I expect; I’ve spent a lifetime creating expectations – I create expectations in myself, in others regarding what I might do or how I might react, in clients as to what I might do for them – and I create expectations in readers, expectations of what I might provide for them

expectations and reality come together in only one place – our minds; I’ve been wondering what constitutes ‘reasonable expectation’ vis-à-vis an ‘unreasonable one’; each day, week or month – I encounter expectations; theirs of me, mine of me, mine of them as I realize every demand on my time, every request for action, every element of what I do is the child or grandchild of something I’ve been complicit in creating – the expectation

we all know the answer (a question in itself) when we ponder why things did not work out the way we want: ‘well, what did you expect?’; that question, often used as a verbal harpoon, is dismissive or funny or both, but seriously ‘what did you expect?’ is the absolutely right question

walking into a store at closing time produces the ultimate in self-service – staff are lurking somewhere but we’ve come to expect nothing so we serve ourselves and consider it a happy shopping experience; Monday morning papers - not so thin because there is no news or because there are no advertisers; they are what we’ve come to expect which is not much of anything so we get nothing . . and, our expectations are met

my expectations of store staff or writers at a paper are really not important – my expectations of myself are what matters; my expectations of colleagues, clients, friends and family are simply figments of my imagination because I control them to the same degree – not one bit

each day I can have the kind of experience I choose to have, I expect

Mark Kolke
339, 036
198.8

... with your voice, teach in order to learn


What do you think? Join the discussion - your comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
mark@markmusing.com

©2003 - 2008 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?