Monday, January 28, 2008

 

turn it up - Monday, Jan. 28, 2008



today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

walk report: -31C/-24F, windchill -47C, clear, steady north wind, small firm drifts to crunch (Gusta seemed to enjoy them) as we did a sprint around our alley route

like a stint in the deepfreeze - I started my morning shoveling drifted snow - wind gave my face a sting; when I came inside, my cheeks got hot

in golf, when an approach shot comes fast, hits the green and bounces off (something I do often) it is called ‘coming in too hot’ - I like that term and never complain when I hit the green, whatever the speed my ball is traveling

fridge-clearing time – once PB’s thick bottom soup pot got my brew boiling I left it simmering all afternoon; this brought warmth to my belly - water, left-over stew, left-over spaghetti and sauce, left-over mysteries, carrots, tomatoes, garlic, celery, sweet onion, chives, nutmeg, pepper, black bean sauce, chili sauce, shallots, oregano, parsley, green onion . . . and lots of stirring

live fast, live hot, let heat change you - like clay baked into porcelain, when we get really hot, we never change back; if we live life feeling ‘it’s not hot enough’, that has nothing to do with the weather outside, it has to do with whether or not we are coming in hot

I’ve been told that the greater the heat, the stronger the steel - so turn up the heat, crank it up, c’mon get steamy - heat comes in waves, really living is searing, scorching the edges, boiling over to spill hotly on everything

heat I generate warms all around me, heat I spill is not lost but shared – on days like this I get fired up because living is hot, living is taking 98.6F to a higher degree, turning it up, turning it on - yesterday’s pot of fridge-clearing soup, today’s layering of wool or a warm grip of one hand holding another - it’s hot, really hot

Mark Kolke
338,700
198.5

... with your voice, teach in order to learn


What do you think? Join the discussion - your comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
mark@markmusing.com

©2003 - 2008 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?