Wednesday, January 23, 2008

 

of puddles - Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2008



today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

-13C/8F, calm, clearer than I’ve ever seen it, rabbits everywhere, Gusta stretching her leash to the limit every chance she got

Buddha and Thoreau both had much to say about pathways in the mind, on the ground and in how we organize our lives; it must be the right path because I feel so right about the path and my angst about lack of sufficient time and lack of patience seems to be subsiding . . not lots, but a little; as someone said, ‘every path has its puddle’; and there is almost always a path around the puddle - sometimes we need to leap it, sometimes we need to march right through like it was never an impediment to anything

some clutter fell away, then I saw the problem and its solution more clearly - a clear path, an elegant solution; on the same day someone wasted two hours of my time which could have been better spent chasing an illusive butterfly

in wasting there was a lesson, learning the obvious (now) not previously seen; methodical, plodding, sequential, thorough – gag me!! - that’s what I saw, that’s what I heard, this is what I felt: help, save me, lemme outta here . . I’m not like that; but, truth be told, I am in many respects – I prefer to think of myself as creative, instinctive, spontaneous and innovative – which I can be because, when I have to, I am those other things

in my work on barrier-free design policy for many years, there were two terms I learned and liked so much – long ago they found a home in my thinking about many things; ‘path of travel’ and ‘wayfinding’; my colleague Mark I. often reminds me these are concepts of universal design but I think they are so much more - these are metaphors for life

I see my path clearer than I’ve ever seen it, clutter cleared, I’ll splash away; I want a simple clear elegant path to grab hold of or one to grab hold of me - I don’t want easy, but I want simple; I don’t want complicated, but I want clear; I don’t want beautiful, but I want elegant; I don’t want an easy ride, but I want a clear path; I don’t want life handed to me, but I want a grip, I want a path and I want rubber boots

Mark Kolke
338,820
197.0

... with your voice, teach in order to learn


What do you think? Join the discussion - your comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
mark@markmusing.com

©2003 - 2008 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?