Tuesday, January 22, 2008

 

invested - Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2008


today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

walk report: -2C/28F, cloudy, mild winds from the west fill nostrils, Gusta perplexed at a T intersection when two rabbits went opposite ways – both paths, about that same, would produce the same result; I should give her some Frost to read – in the distance, sirens wail as aid rushes to meet trouble

I know reality can shift like sand underfoot when a big wave surprises, so if I don’t want the risk of stumbling or getting wet, I should not walk the beach, should not risk being washed away or tossed aside by powers much greater than me – but I walk beaches anyway

today will be brighter than yesterday – depending on what I think about, on what I am working for, on what value and what it is worth to me; no market maker can price me a dream, diminish value of my thoughts or hedge my future position – I know where I am going, the destination certain, the route is being worked on, the departure time uncertain

knowing what I have, why I have it and knowing its value matters; value doesn’t go up on a smile or down on a frown – value doesn’t blow away with the wind or float away with a rising tide; recognizing difference between what things are worth and what price we are prepared to pay – deserves reassessment from time to time; trading losses for learning is always painful, but failing to extract some learning from the lesson would seem like a double waste

facts move markets far less and more slowly than does emotion; sentiment can shift in less than an eye-blink; feeling safe, being secure, enjoying comfort – these are relative terms; what is something worth, what is its value, what price is too high, how low is too low?

discussion of worth and value cloud the horizon but authenticity doesn’t make headlines, rarely makes it to the front page; ‘being real’ or ‘being in the moment’ are ancient clichés in our nanosecond world

I don’t have much in the great scheme of wealth and finance, but I am fully invested; my financial statement is simple:
my assets; self worth
my income; all that comes my way
my gains; every day I live
my losses; what I am prepared to give up or leave behind and yesterdays I didn’t use
my worth; what I do with my life
my value proposition; an illusive pretty butterfly on the hand is worth holding steady for

I read something this morning that indicated yesterday was the final difficult day for those prone to feeling down in the short winter days, a turning point if you will; then I read this morning’s headlines and know it must be true for a lot of people who hope today will be brighter than yesterday

the value of life is not measured by what we have or had, not by what we wish for or want for, not by anyone’s measure but our own .. we own that and its value is solid, not to be bought or sold or hedged
Mark Kolke
338,844
197.2


... with your voice, teach in order to learn


What do you think? Join the discussion - your comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
mark@markmusing.com

©2003 - 2008 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?