Thursday, January 17, 2008

 

feed me back - Thursday, Jan. 17, 2008


today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

[note to readers about feedback - I circulate virtually all feedback that reaches me, but lately it seems firewalls and the like have caused a lot of ‘reply’ mail to not reach me –which means that if you have not seen publication of your response, that means I didn’t get it; please, if responding to musings, write to me directly at mark@markmusing.com rather than hitting ‘reply’ and hopefully they will get through]

1C/34F, light snow falling, steady north wind; Gusta’s fur rippled fullness spliced with wet sleet-like filling, the wetness of which we could only appreciate on our walk back around that moonscape-like lagoon, wind full-on stinging wet faces, it was fabulous

feed me, feed me back what you think – no need to give me pro or con on what I think or write about – tell me what you think about, what gets you up or gets you down; add a bit of you to my collection . . please

something is lacking; maybe it lurks in those feedback emails that haven’t been getting through, but I think it is something else; I used to say I loved it, but I hated it; I hated criticism, hated – yes, really hated – the barbs of the sharp tongued acerbic negation of what I had to say; I found that each person who dismissed me or ridiculed me got the fur on the back of my neck standing at attention

in time, with help, I learned to dismiss extreme types for the idiots they were – then, I learned to listen for sincere feedback-givers, the ones I began to thrive on were those who pointed out, often awkwardly or rudely, when I missed a point or overshot my target, those who call a spade a spade and better yet, those who call it an effing shovel; thriving on that – my tilting at windmills phase I suppose – until it seemed to not be as necessary as before

some of that I attribute to greater confidence in what I do, comfort in writing as if I was wearing a very old floppy comfy sweater – the comfort of knowing the boundaries are set only by my mental limitations; maybe what I miss is the sparring, different than sparking by a simple letter, the adding of a single r means the difference between a beating and practice . . the difference between sparing someone a brutal beating by helping them tone up, tune up and get ready for the real contest

there it is . . getting ready for the real contest - the real contest is not the match in a ring, competition on a stage, battle of wits or for survival – the real contest is to live more fully today than yesterday, or there is little point

I like these days best; Thursday, most often a day of high productivity without much chat, lots done without going out, without meetings, errands or frenetic rushes here or there – but not an aimless day, not a shirking day - these Thursdays arrive with early week urgency behind me, end of week panics still ahead; a day to spread my wings, work, agenda wide – very wide - day for time-taking, progress-savoring, a day for facing (literally) weather and looking both in and out to see whether things matter or not


Mark Kolke
338,964
197.5


... with your voice, teach in order to learn


What do you think? Join the discussion - your comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
mark@markmusing.com

©2003 - 2008 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?