Friday, December 28, 2007

 

sound affects - Friday, Dec. 28, 2007



today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

-14 C/7F, cloudy, calm, traffic hums as the city resumes a somewhat normal Friday pace, Gusta amused by the garbage truck cruising the lane too large a toy to play with but fun to listen to its starts and stops and groans

everywhere I go some device spills noise into otherwise quiet space, taking up room in my room; the more I listen to the quiet the more I hear; the more I hear, the more I want quiet so I can hear more - resolve to listen more often, more intently - to listen for soundness of ideas, firmness of purpose, strength of resolve; listening to noise, listening to others; I think that to listen better is good, but to listen better, what should I do, should I tune out the noise, tune out the static – just listen to the important things, but then, how can I tell which is what?

sound affects little, listening - on the other hand - can affect everything; two dogs, one cat and PB with me in a room made an assortment of sounds; conversation minimal, patter with animals mostly one sided, room quiet and noisy at the same time – no tranquility, but there was peace, there was listening there après movie (we saw Atonement - liked it lots, sound effects and acting stood out so well from story well told) as we listened to Rod McKuen’s ‘The Sea’, recited poetry over orchestra sounds and surf sounds, so noisy, so quiet, tranquility amid violent waves crashing on rocks – inevitable relentless waves

outside, dawn broke, scarcely a sound - I know, I was watching; nothing moved, I know - I was listening - this morning, absence of light, absence of sound – thoughts invade conscious like conversation – as tapping keys made staccato-like music in that movie – sound effects are just noise, but sound, if you listen carefully, affects everything

Mark Kolke
339,420
198.1

... with your voice, teach in order to learn


What do you think? Join the discussion - your comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
musing@maxcomm.ca

©2007 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?