Tuesday, November 20, 2007

 

in omnia paratus - Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2007



today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

-10C/14F, soft dusty rose in the east, inky blue black in the west – across a sky the washed out shades of each meet, mingle, grow to be one; lagoon ice not ready for skaters, but soon, Gusta sniffs where nocturnal visitors stopped, no wind, cheeks reddened – the sky, the air, the ice – inseparable, they are one

we write books, make speeches – argue, thrust and parry at length to make points, explain ideas – yet a few well chosen words, crafted, brief, to the point, hit their target - convey feeling - draw a picture with an economy of lines, of thoughts compressed, not terse but to the point, meaty not mushy - maximum impact with gentleness at the core

like a potter’s bad pieces set alongside the good stuff, we write inspired pieces that stand among ordinary ones, often hard to tell good from bad from mediocre; extraordinary happens when meaningful meets beautiful with timbre and pitch to rival great phrases

I’ve written a few, not many, perfect messages, short pieces, witty retorts - we know it when we read it, feel it as we taste those words roll off our tongue

once in a while, someone writes one for me, to me – stunned me, hit me, grabbed me, woke me, pleased me, awed me; I got mine this morning; sent last night at 11:01 from b’fly; resting overnight in my in-box, 7 words and as many dots like these . . . - including the re: line, greeting, salutation and message – 50 keystrokes – that’s all she used

waiting patiently for me to open them this morning, words wrapped in feeling, folded nuance – better than a letter, creamier than cream, meatier than meat, heftier than heavy, feathery like feathers only lighter than that, soft like fingertips that just touch

I’m not alone anymore, inseparable, we are one, I am prepared for all things

Mark Kolke
340,332
197.2


What do you think? Join the discussion - your comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
musing@maxcomm.ca

©2007 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?