Tuesday, October 16, 2007

 

the true troublemaker - Tuesday, Oct. 16, 2007

today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

4C/40F (high 16C), blazing balls of fire lifting off the horizon as we returned from our walk – only one sun, but looking right into it, it seemed to multiply, many balls a’fire; as I looked away yellow leaves were more ochre, blue sky striped with grey streaks came alive

I’m not tired today, not cranky this morning, but sometimes opinions of others rankle me, the style/posture of their irritations (that kind, the kind that build to resentment) surface; when I see these, hear them, I want to listen and react, thrust and parry, rebuff, argue and sometimes fight about it - but why, what possible purpose could be served by telling someone else that their feelings are invalid, that their view is not in sync with someone else’s, most particularly, mine?

maybe I should just blithely smile, let it pass, let it go, let it slip from view, let it drop, let it subside, let it simmer on the back burner at least, let it sit out of sight and out of mind a while, let it be, just let it . .

from where I sit, from my point of view, the world is spectacular – more so because my butterfly is around; she is not pleased with me at the moment which is not to say she is mad or flying away; her point of view different from mine, maybe I should just let it be, recognizing the true troublemaker is within me

“A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding.” – Marshall McLuhan

“We cling to our point of view, as though everything depended on it. Yet our opinions have no permanence; like autumn and winter, they gradually pass away.” – Chuang Tzu

I want to smile and say ‘here it is, such a wonderful day, and all I want to do is tell you how much I respect your opinion, value your point of view, appreciate your feedback, thanks, yup sure, you bet, etc…’

feedback, critique, commentary, alternate points of view, different vantage points – we all need it and most of the time I would say I want it - that is, of course, until someone gives me their feedback, critique, commentary, alternate point of view from a different vantage point . .

yesterday’s blueberry pancake start with GD - we’ve not visited in a while – we talked politics (fitting on election day), about issues, future, bringing about change; he interrupted himself in the middle to tell me how much his wife enjoys musings, to observe how happy he sees me these days, clearly the butterfly landed on my shoulder; he is observant, I enjoyed his comments, point of view, the view from where he sits – not exactly like mine but very much aligned

like GD, I want everyone to agree with me, to see my point of view – not because I am right (of course I feel I am right about everything - so do most people) but because I want my vision of how things ought to be to come about – it should not matter whether I am talking about the problems of our city, a business or my personal social calendar – I want it my way, see it my way, feel it my way - so, how can there be another way?

point of view - it sounds like a spot – a place – a location, from which we see things, but more often I believe we use the term ‘point of view’ to mean our opinion, language to support the argument that ‘this is not just my thought, idea or opinion – but, rather, this is my point of view’

I looked directly into the blazing sun – I was not burned or consumed or wrecked, but there were changes to what I saw and how I saw them, a fresh look, new point of view, different point of view, widened point of view, new hues point of view, changed . . just a little

Mark Kolke
341,196
198.2

What do you think? Join the discussion - your comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
musing@maxcomm.ca

©2007 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?