Sunday, October 14, 2007

 

October 14 Responses


Morning Mark, I'm just back from the UK where the crowds, expense and abundant angst of aworld too cramped and intolerant feels wearying even in the celebration and comfort of my family and old friends. Your reflection on the question of 'what do women want' - is noted, endorsed and I expect you'll receive mixed and lively input. My experience has been that what I want and need varies during life stages. Oh the times of begging for solitude - a trip to the bathroom without pudgy miniature fingers wiggling beneath it seeking me out. Then times looking for strength and clarity of decision through hot tears rocking silently on bathroom floor – a husband once again missing in action. Later building career (post divorce settlement funded education) and wishing to not feel life a fuzzy-slipper-wearing-imposter as I stood among (and counseled) colleagues and clients. Today, as I reflect on my return from 'home'- my Mum's sad 80-year-old eyes as the car drew me away from her. She: a woman wanting herdaughter's permanent return after 30 years to now keep her safe as she increasingly feels vulnerable and anxious... and me: wanting to return to my Calgary pod, my work ... this brief moment content to be single, adult children launched... a possible fleeting chapter when I am fully in choice and loving my journey (even if at times lonely and uncertain). In a favourite movie, Enchanted April, a young British society woman vacations with strangers in a villa in Italy. As she retreats to the garden lounger rejecting company and intrusion, she states 'it' so well for so many women: "I just want to get my feathers smooth." Thanks for letting me share, JH, Calgary
...
To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to musing@maxcomm.ca

©2007 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?