Monday, October 29, 2007

 

left behind - Monday, Oct. 29, 2007



today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

7C/45F (high 15C), full moon lit us from overhead as we strolled the ridge path this morning, my pace quickened a bit as Gusta sniffed mystery droppings; no critters, people or cars in sight . . just a few billion spots of light above us

I sipped coffee, read a paper and pondered my day ahead over a bowl of granola and raspberries – momentary perishable experiences; I was pondering things we take for granted – like electricity, seasons, hair loss and government bureaucracy – things we never expect anything special from, other than that they will be themselves, be predictable and always be there; other things are more fallible whether or not they have best-before dates on them

but, with things we have acquired, like knowledge, abilities and memory – we don’t have to remember how to walk, breath, make a phone call or to ask a question – these are things we learn how to do and we never have to learn them again, we just repeat our own experience

ability to remember is really important, perhaps as important as the ability to forget; I remember why that matters, but right now I forget whether it is better to lose an ability or a memory, or a memory of an ability . . . . each gets left behind along the way

“We do not remember days, we remember moments. The richness of life lies in memories we have forgotten.” – Cesare Pavese

it doesn’t matter if I will always remember to ride a bike, but I don’t want to forget who taught me to ride one, it doesn’t matter if I ever skate again but I don’t want to forget who taught me to skate . . etc.

little acts of kindness are more significant than the grandest gesture; thanks to all who called or wrote regarding my dad’s health – I am pleased to report he is getting great care and doing as well as can be expected just now; he is a little loopy on his sleep medication, now finally convinced he doesn’t have to get up to go to work . . for now, terms like congestive heart failure sound much more ominous than ‘fluid around his lungs makes his heart have to work too hard’, for now, I’ve not lost him - I’ve found him in some new ways

ability ‘to do things’ inevitably declines - not sure it matters to me that I will always be able to do everything – what scares me most is the idea of not remembering being able to do things, which would probably be coupled with an absence of worrying about what I couldn’t remember because I wouldn’t know anymore

there’s more, but I forgot it

Mark Kolke
340,004
198.0


What do you think? Join the discussion - your comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
musing@maxcomm.ca

©2007 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?