Sunday, October 28, 2007

 

ER, not the TV show - Sunday. Oct. 28, 2007



today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

6C/43F (high 13C), light overcast and breezy, Gusta explored new territory while I tagged along mindlessly, aimlessly, hopelessly distracted; Sunday plans altered – forks appear in a straight road, life rears its head to say ‘hello, I’m going to change some things’

truth is not an emergency - sometimes we need emergency to see truth – to focus on changes that are happening, inevitable changes – truth otherwise masked in some naive expectation that things will be fine a good deal longer, that decline and death concepts for dealing with in the future . . the distant future, but not today

tuning in last night – live, not previously recorded, amid party people injuries, stressed, obsessed and distressed folk, weird and weirder still - a few normal people, but the cuckoo’s nest was cause for déjà vu in the world of triage that makes me cringe, nurse Mildred Ratched in charge, eventually her ER nurse protégé indicated this was not a ‘check you out, send you home’ exercise; home to sleep by 4:30AM was best, his full assessment would take several hours

ER is part farce, part drama, morning after ER brings test-pattern numbness home to roost; frail and shrunken man, gentle man, gentleman, parent, dad, model who played his role so solidly, stoic, unwavering; he gave me a name, gave me life – in distress, there is nothing I can do; 1:30AM. alarm company called, paramedics rolled; as I got there they were getting loaded for his ride to hospital – I gathered his essentials for the return trip (socks and shoes and keys etc.)

no call overnight - good news I suppose – they only would have called if he could go home or if he got worse, so no call was good; when I got up I called the hospital – he’s resting well after being admitted, mild heart attack the apparent cause of his distress; I must go now to visit the cardiac care unit, return items in the front seat for now, likely not needed today

Mark Kolke
340,028
198.0

What do you think? Join the discussion - your comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
musing@maxcomm.ca

©2007 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?