Thursday, September 20, 2007

 

September 20 Responses


Hi Mark, I liked your analogy "doing nothing does not prevent change, it makes us an observer rather participant". It is so much easier to sit back and not take risks, to not be 'out there'. Life does go on around us, without us. But it is so much better to participate, to activate, and instigate. I want to help make things happen in my life, to be part of the plan, the excitement, the fun. I don't want to just exist and watch the world go by. SL, Calgary
...
Compromise strikes home deep today. Wow 44F, that’s freezing to us in Florida yet we do have our own seasons and however subtle they are delightful in many ways.. Marcus, my 23 y/o son who lives with us as he goes to college and works in my business text-messaged me yesterday that it was a beautiful cool (85F) day and wanted to golf rather than work all day. In compromise I left work early to golf with him. As we played we were surrounded by swirling clouds of many colors and hues blown about by an unusual combination of two regional low systems, enjoyed a wonderful balmy breeze, and virtually no one on the course but us. It is extremely rewarding to spend time with the “man” after all those tricky and difficult teenage years. Like water eventually erodes the rock and the rock embraces the water we have compromised and our petty squabbles and differences have dissipated. It was not Cindy (my wife) or my will which prevailed, but instead “agape” love (love which requires no acknowledgment or return). The rapport we share now would be the envy of any life long friends as we played in perfect synchrony. Hole after hole we scattered large flocks of noisy Ibis, crows, buzzards, and sand hill cranes from the newly aerated fairways. I had a view of us as if from above, playing the game like wealthy competing kings with our many subjects on the fairways watching, commenting and complaining. Marcus made the right call and despite losing by one stroke I counted my self blessed in many ways on this early Florida fall day, ML, Stuart, FL
...
Count me among the many “musings” readers who aren’t quite sure how they landed on your distribution list, but are glad we did. I work in the heart of downtown Chicago, and my virtual visit to Calgary each morning is welcomed diversion. My quick question is this: what is the significance of the two numbers at the bottom of each of your posts? Today’s, for instance, are 341,820 and 198.6. Thank you for inspiring me to “muse” more often, DH, Chicago
...
Back To DH: the numbers - the first, if I meet my goal of living to 95, is the number of hours left in my life. A daily reminder of how many grains of sand are left in the hourglass. The second one represents my self-intimidation method of watching my weight. I'm down 13 pounds over the last year and often wonder if my daily reminder really has any impact on it - but, since I'm going down . . .albeit slowly . . it is the right direction but 165 still seems out of reach!
...
Thanks very much for the quick reply – from what I’ve read in musings, you seem to know the secret of making every hour count, and now I know why! I appreciate you sharing that with me very much. I’ve had a few guesses in my mind since I first started reading your emails a few months ago, but wasn’t even close! As for me, I work for the YMCA in our USA headquarters here in Chicago, doing PR and communications work as it relates to our national partnerships with corporations. I’m new to Chicago, but not new to the Y. I worked for nearly 20 years as the PR Director for the YMCA of Greater Indianapolis (IN) before moving up here last summer for this new – and very exciting – opportunity. My husband and I are empty-nesters enjoying (almost) every minute of this new adventure. I certainly could do without the traffic… In the meantime, I look forward to tomorrow’s words of wisdom from you and Gusta! Warm wishes, DH, Chicago
...
To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to musing@maxcomm.ca

©2007 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?