Wednesday, September 26, 2007

 

harvest time - Wednesday, Sept. 26, 2007

today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park


8C/47F (high 17C), Gusta seemed to sniff every yellow leaf around the lagoon as if they’d taken on magical harvest time qualities, flights of geese cruise out toward swathed fields to snatch seeds before farmers harvest them or they reach fertile soil

observations offer opportunities a chance to be explored – left alone they fall flat like deflated balloons, but opened up with some energy and life breathed into them they become full sails or dirigibles - opportunities to do interesting business, each where connections and work long past earned me the opportunity to be given an opportunity; I know I’ll have a great day – at worst I’ll have more of this dumb luck helping me, at best I’ll have attention, intention and harvest a crop from seeds planted a long time ago

planting seeds Johnny Appleseed style was never deliberate for me, but more and more it appears to have happened long ago when I wasn’t thinking of planting seeds, I suppose I planted lots along the way; my intention is to give attention to things, events and people who best fit with my aims in life - when much younger I would frenetically chase every opportunity, the big and the small, court the attention of those who might help me rather than those I might be able to help and look for opportunities to make the quickest dollar rather than to make the wisest connections; sometimes I won big, or lost big . . being young it was about the chase but I learned that some of the most interesting things seemed to come to me in no way I could explain, market toward, plan for or account for; was it just dumb luck?

25 yrs. ago a client, RJC, told me our relationship was like a marriage (I laughed because I told him he was not my type and didn’t have the legs for it); he explained how he saw it, how integral my work and my company’s service to his practice helped him to function in his service to his clients I felt understood and appreciated more than I was by any other client; no surprise his work got more and faster attention than others - also no surprise to me that yesterday when I called him asking for help with something new he readily responded; was it old loyalty, seeds long ago planted or some more dumb luck?

some ‘best experiences’ I’ve had, best people I’ve met, best relationships I’ve fostered came from such innocuous starts; I often wonder if it was my frame of mind at the time we met, something in style or manner of being or personality, or paying attention or getting to know people for who they truly are; did they know I would be able to see an opportunity better than someone else or was it is just dumb luck?

I had lunch with muser KDK yesterday, the beginning of an interesting friendship perhaps, maybe a business relationship . . maybe more, maybe less – but somehow I know our paths will cross again; we are far from similar but at the same time not that far distant – each a seeker of a better understanding of self and of others; I had dinner with a new client, ME, a guy I am getting to know; he too is like me in some ways, vastly different in others; I don’t know this for certain but my instincts tell me this is a good connection – more about business than a personal connection but the crooked path we all walk, reflecting choices made at many forks in the road tell me these two connections are ones I will value and I suspect that if I introduce the two of them an interesting connection might take each of them into some new area of exploration

Mark Kolke
341,676
201.4

What do you think? Join the discussion - your comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
musing@maxcomm.ca

©2007 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?