Monday, August 27, 2007

 

unforced error - Monday, Aug. 27, 2007



today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

7C/42F (high 11C), overnight rain stopped a while, everything wet, hanging low – Gusta sat respectfully as we were within spitting distance of a one year old buck, his stature and precise movement standing proud, his antlers wet, mossy looking

I live in a world of winners and those who commit unforced errors; the smart winner can repeat thing that win again and again, while we unforced error guys keep finding ways that won’t work – experience perhaps a good teacher, a hard teacher and often a lonely teacher; rainy dull days, Mondays – these are things sent to get us down and they will if we let them – if we do let them get us down, I need to remember that it is not because anyone has done anything to me, but simply because I’ve made an error no one was forcing me to commit

I try to live error free – I try to say the right thing, do the right thing, have great ideas that work out, create great things that work the first time . . or at least work eventually; making mistakes – little ones, really big ones, and the ones in between – is not exceptional; it is normal, it is healthy, it is part of growing; in tennis there is a term called the unforced error – a polite commentator’s way of saying ‘he blew that chance’ which is different from commenting on your opponent blowing one by you which is called hitting a ‘winner’

trying to do something good or well intentioned or helpful or caring for someone - I too often ‘step in it’; my enthusiasm, ‘being insufficiently informed’ or ignoring signs of warning are roadblocks I encounter - most frequently the cause of my unforced errors

it is just 9AM, but I think there is time to hit a winner today; maybe if I step carefully, elegantly, proudly, like that young buck, good things will come to me

Mark Kolke
1617 (consecutive days of walking & musing)
341,396 (hours till my best-before date)
201.8 (on the scale this morning)


What do you think? Join the discussion - your comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
musing@maxcomm.ca

©2007 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?