Wednesday, August 29, 2007

 

nothing - Wednesday, Aug. 29, 2007

today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

6C/42F (high 25C), a day of higher highs and higher lows, light breeze, sunny; Gusta tripped around the lagoon leash-tangling herself more than usual, ducks gone, water level higher, subtlety of season change showing itself – leaves turning, yellow grass getting longer, falling flat, shrub foliage hanging low with the weight or maybe just getting weary

nothing happens that I don’t allow it – nothing; so if being distressed about something happens, it is because I allow it, just as being calm, clear headed, relaxed and deliberate is something I can allow; for now I am far too close to the former to be able to do the latter

nothing rivets me like a singular focus on an issue, on someone, on a problem – excluding virtually everything else from my front-burner agenda - doesn’t usually start out that way, but when something is strong, of high quality, tugs at the right strings, then it is really overwhelming - that can be a love interest – or the project-du-jour, or a new business adventure, or a big problem to solve; when that happens other things don’t fall through the cracks – in fact, I find the thousand other things get faster paced attention than usual because I don’t want them falling through the cracks, which is not to say they all get sufficient attention, but they do get expedient attention

nothing is wrong – everything is wrong; extremes far removed from reality, but in my mind there is a place called stark, called clear, called fear, called sense of loss – when I’m there I am not depressed or angry or confused or uninspired – but, for a while, I feel empty, nothing seems to solve anything

I know an remember - nothing ventured . . nothing gained, sometimes the best of intentions, the best of what I believe I have captured is really nothing at all . . a wisp of a hope of a dream of a fantasy of a delusion of an overactive imagination – leaves me with nothing

nothing is better than sufficient information – but when information cannot be found, when someone declines to communicate, avoids communication . . what is left? . . perhaps something yet to be revealed, or, perhaps . . nothing

I am afraid I’ve lost something valuable, not sure but wondering; insufficient information, knee-jerking, fear, time, distance, the quiet inexplicable acts of others – so many ingredients at work, my brain gets a little fried thinking it through . . but time walking a beach will help, time will help; nothing that happens to me happens unless I decide it, nothing anyone else does can harm me unless I allow it; platitudes, I know, but sometimes these crutches of someone else’s words help, as does wise counsel of friends – but sometimes tripping (like in hockey) requires a time-out

nothing clears my head like a trip somewhere, nothing

nothing but a plane ticket, a book, shoes to walk, eyes open to see new places and a new suitcase, I’m ready (OK, so I haven’t packed anything yet . . but I will); I’m heading off to Houston later today for four days - Gusta will be heading off shortly this morning to her ‘country club’ place of pampering – I think she often has a better holiday than I do

I googled in search of a definition of nothing; Nothing is the lack or absence of anything. "Nothing" and "zero" are closely related but not identical concepts. The term "nothing" is rarely used mathematically, though it could be said that a set contains nothing if and only if it is the empty set, in which case its cardinality (or size) is zero. Nothing differs from zero in the way that zero is something, a finite amount which is defined; The special value that indicates that an object variable is no longer associated with any actual object; a nonexistent thing; a quantity of no importance; "it looked like nothing I had ever seen before"; "reduced to nil all the work we had done"; "we racked up a pathetic goose egg"; "it was all for naught"; "I didn't hear zilch about it"

frenetic taking care of little things is heightened when a trip is imminent; it seems I spend as much energy getting ready for a 4 day trip as I do a 14 day one; maybe I should trip more often, a great way to clean up all the little things that get pushed from day to day, week to week . .

nothing in search of something will lead me somewhere, I know it will; nothing is not an answer to anything, especially when I am in search of something; some people have commented that I write better when I am away somewhere walking a beach – there is some truth to that, but also that involves having more time to reduce some thoughts to writing

someone told me once the being brilliant and being nuts were very close neighbours in the mind - no fence to separate them . . nothing

a day of higher highs and higher lows

Mark Kolke
341,348
199.8

What do you think? Join the discussion - your comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
musing@maxcomm.ca

©2007 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?