Sunday, July 22, 2007

 

no point earned - Sunday, July 22, 2007

today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

15C/59F(high 30C), our walk short (Gusta doen’t seem to understand me telling her, ‘I’m on my way out to walk 18 holes’) around the lagoon – ducks ducking, light breeze

par is elusive, above par is not good but it sounds good; below par is good, but it sounds bad – up to par sounds like improvement; funny game, golf

hit a winner or see an opponent make an unforced error, win a point - game, set, match . . my game growing up was tennis, competitive tennis – I played singles well, I played mixed doubles better – the game where you sometimes take a ball in the back of the head from someone called your partner – a game where points are scored between the laughter breaks, when I used to serve and volley with perky sassy young women as both teammate and opponent, perhaps a metaphor for my life; funny game, tennis

great outing with my dad yesterday; he says, when he was 60 he thought he’d live to 70; now, at 85, his target is 95 . . a man still 10 years ahead of time; we shopped for a guy-girdle, for back relief and I think we found a good one, we lunched and talked about how we understand each other so well, women not so well; we talked about life and living – he is more free than any man could ever be – the world has no expectations of him, he has no timetable, no rush - his anxiety that he remembers to book his trips to doctors or the mall for his walks; he does not struggle to make a point, come to think of it, he never has; funny game, life

points scored - jousting, boxing, fencing, duels and warfare – competitive combative activities, based on punches landed, wounds opened, hurt inflicted – hate it; give me words, give me reason, give me a worthy adversary – lets debate, lets spar a little, let laugh a lot; making a point, scoring a point, holding a view, needing others to see it – seems so important sometimes; it seems to have been important most of my life, as far back as I can remember –so understanding that in others should be easy, not always so; funny game, communicating

talking, words, joy of my world, sometimes bane of my existence – cut as deeply as any knife, skewer as well as any sword; licking wounds following a brutal match, sleep helped as much as any ointment, but when the whirl of words stopped, paused, I attempted to start over; the sun has comes up, I hope reason will prevail; funny game, conversation

trying to make my point heard, my point of view seen, heard – sure, but a deaf ear cannot listen to me, nor can I hear anyone else’s view if my rigidness prevents me from listening; sleep, wake up, discomforts are gone, feelings remain; funny game, hearing

a series of, I thought, well intentioned mistakes (OK, I didn’t think they were mistakes at all); I was told the best thing I could do was apologize and then shut up; funny game, mistakes

in tennis, an unforced error earns no point, having no points or point is called love; funny game, love

Mark Kolke
223,320
202.0


What do you think? Join the discussion - your comments are welcomed - please write.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to musing@maxcomm.ca

©2007 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?