Friday, June 22, 2007

 

just visiting - Friday, June 22, 2007


today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

10C/50F (high 26C), sunny, we visited the park around the lagoon, Gusta wary of the geese standing guard on the shore like bookends, five goslings lined up between them, watching closing to be sure when Gusta’s visit was over; I walked the path, Gusta galloped through the long grass till she found a place where something, deer I suppose, had flattened the grass on an overnight visit

what lovely ‘distraction’ comments from TG from New York; one of my favorite places to visit (14 times I think) wrote a lovely response to yesterday’s musing worth noting – thank you for visiting those few precious words on me

I was just thinking the other day how I miss visiting a great deli late in the evening after visiting Broadway for a show, visiting Central Park in a carriage ride, visiting museums and galleries and visiting the ‘feel of New York’, visiting a street corner pretzel vendor or visiting Radio City, visiting FAO Shwarz and so on . .

interesting, I think of NYC as visiting; I realize visiting Maui is going to become more like going home and returning to Calgary will be VISITING as I shift my life around in the next few years

yesterday’s first day of summer milestone reminds us that school will soon be done, vacations and trips to visit friends, visit relatives, visit ‘wonders of nature’ and visits to all the places in between . .

this life is something we can struggle with or not; that choice of determining if every thing we do is chore, labour or burden is easier somehow, if we just think of it as a visit (though visiting the dentist will never be fun for me)

life is something we are all passing through, just visiting if you will; have a nice visit

every morning I get up; my first steps take me around a familiar pattern – not efficient – but practiced; it involves using the bathroom (1 visit for a pill, 1 to pee, 1 to brush teeth), visiting the kitchen (1 to turn on the coffee, 1 to get juice, 1 to get the first cup of coffee), visiting my office (1 to turn on the computer and open email to see what came in overnight, 1 to set up my template for writing musings, 1 to begin writing before I walk – 1 visit is empty handed, 1 with juice, 1 with coffee in hand), visiting Gusta to wake her up and open her kennel, visiting the closet to get her some food, visiting a sink to fill her water dish followed by visiting the other closet to get my walking shoes; in between somewhere I visit the bedroom one or two times in the course of getting dressed

I visit the kitchen again, for that second cup of coffee (I got a new coffee maker last week that is superb, it cooks the coffee and deposits it in a thermos-like metal carafe so the coffee is not being constantly heated by a burner so repeat visits are great); then I visit my office again to begin writing these musings; some days I write a little, some days a lot – it used to be very hard to get started, over time it has become difficult to stop

then we go out to visit nature; on rainy days it seems visited upon us, but most days we visit the park, the lagoon, the trails . . almost always familiar places, then we return to Fish Creek Pointe’s front door, collect morning papers, and return to visit the kitchen for breakfast etc. and the day begins

my walks some days are not far removed from that sequence that begins with first steps into the bathroom – followed by routine I could do in my sleep and some mornings it feels that way

I must dash downtown now; visiting with JJ over breakfast at the 1886 café (it’s been a while so there is lots of catching up to do, then off to visit with a client I’ve not seen in a while to see his new premises he leased through me last year; in the course of those errands I need to visit my office, visit my bank, visit my dry cleaner, visit the post office, visit a client to drop off a lease, visit the Y for a workout and a steam, visit a few other errand stops on the way)

I am very busy just visiting

Mark Kolke
224,064
199.4


Musings need not be a monologue, but to make it a dialogue is dependent upon your responses, which are welcomed - please write me with your feedback/comments.
To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to musing@maxcomm.ca
©2007 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?