Thursday, June 21, 2007

 

from concentrate - Thursday, June 21, 2007

today’s Musing written and published from south Calgary, near Fish Creek Park

11C/52F(high 26C), bright and beautiful, light breeze; Gusta wanted to play with the kids, but duck and geese parents thought taking their broods for group swimming lessons was a better idea as we cruised around the lagoon this morning; back for papers and breakfast, real juice – not from concentrate

organized? yes I am, but, immune to diversions? . . less, then more, then less again – it seems to shift; this first day of summer (as does every day actually) brings opportunity for many diversions, many new ventures, adventures and scary rides on life’s work and play rollercoaster – the real deal

ask yourself: "If the greatest opportunity to come along in my life presented itself today (don't
expect it to be fully unwrapped displayed together with an instruction manual) would I recognize it, would I pursue it, would I concentrate on it, would I revel in it . . or would it pass by without so much as a notice?"

if that question doesn’t drive you to distraction, how about considering that there will be many such opportunities that whiz by you today; some will be someone saying ‘help me!’, some will be someone saying ‘can I help?’, some will be a diffident stranger, some will be tall with red hair, some will be short on something, some will be on fire, some will be burnt out, some will burn you, some will . . . need I go on?

you get the picture . . . this phenomenon arrives several times daily - takes the mind down a new path, it diverts, disturbs, distracts; this first official day of summer should, I thought, best be spent on the golf course but dealing with this week's distractions (and being available for today's nuances too) have left much not done, creating a conflict - golf will wait, but not long, I'll be pitching soon; I had a booking but a number of things over the last few days have served to bulge my work day . . and the dining room table is filled to overflowing, so I better get concentrating

what causes these distractions, so many this week, that leave me with still a big hump left the day after hump day?

c’mon Mark, focus, re-focus, change focus – blurry - re-focus; back to it, concentrate

when distractions arrive, in my view, there are two clear choices; the first is to ignore them completely, remaining focused on the task/interest at hand - I witness people doing this and, while I admire their ability to concentrate, I expect they smile less than I do, they miss the tastiness of life whizzing by them; the second choice is to set aside whatever is on the go to focus attention on that distraction; this often contributes to 'not missing anything' while 'not getting required work done'; there are perhaps a multitude of other options as opposed to these two, but I think all other options would be some risk-reward blends (would that be concentrate?) of these two

the next greatest best most fantastic thing we can imagine happening could be the next phone call, the next email, the next man, the next woman, the next child, the next animal we encounter might change our life; c’mon Mark, concentrate on that

next!

Mark Kolke
224,064
200.0


Musings need not be a monologue, but to make it a dialogue is dependent upon your responses, which are welcomed - please write me with your feedback/comments.
To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to musing@maxcomm.ca

©2007 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?