Thursday, June 28, 2007

 

clarity emerges - June 28 musing

today’s Musing written and published from Calgary, Canada

13C/56F (high 26C), overcast; I was dragging along as Gusta led us around the lagoon and back at high speed, supercharged this morning – need for speed not found in my legs

no need for speed, I am moving a little slow, which tends to happen when a sniffle wants to grab me, or when I’ve had way too much great food to eat the night before (our Toastmasters club had a pot-luck BBQ meeting last night), or when I have some deadlines to meet, or too many meetings to attend or a few too many things stuck in my brain – today is ‘all of these’; clarity emerges in many ways on days like this – the mood is set

an element of my life has grown strong and important to me over the last couple of years - the more I think on it, clarity emerges that these group dynamics are far more important to me than the work we do together; the buzz in the room is so much more than social or fraternal . . it is intellectual, creative, caring, stimulating and electric; there are better things in life (not many) than feeling connected with a great group of friends and their collectiveness (brains, personalities, perspectives, energy, joys, pains, triumphs, pratfalls); these extraordinarily bright, perceptive thoughtful people are kind of interesting, kind and interesting

mid-year already; I am sure everyone has their familiar times to reflect - year end, budget time, annual reviews etc; when running a small business (that means, it runs you) the review process is far less formal, far more frequent, far harsher in some ways, less objective in many more - when I hear the best idea ever or the worst, they often sound the same at first – leaves me wondering how to determine ‘right path’ vs. ‘wrong path’

around July long-weekends I find I do similar things to my Christmas break; take some time to review, to plan, to re-organize a few things to consider ‘how things are going’, which always makes me wonder ‘by what yard-stick am I measuring’; ideas often sit idle too long, not because they should; sometimes it is because they need more germination time, just as often a ringing phone interrupt any chance at a breakthrough - like most Thursdays, today begins with yesterday’s incomplete tasks pushing today’s scheduled ones, the weekend looms, urgency competes with ‘time to think things through time’ . . there will be time to take them then

the July long weekend will also mean lots of great Wimbledon tennis to watch in the wee hours, Millarville races if I can find someone who wants to go with me, some golf, some work, some driving in the country (this one), some July1/July4 reflection on being a citizen of North America . . writing of course; whether reflecting on life, business or country, what constitutes progress, success, effectiveness?

I found it interesting last night, in that group of 20+ people, most of us know each other deeper than folks we pass on a street, some much deeper – evidenced by significant revelations and changes, often humorous, often painful, often deeply dramatic; I’m starting more and more to think we function like an extended family of sorts, more about the glue which connects us than common interests that brought us together in the first instance . . I know I’ll know many of them for a long time, some of them even longer

Mark Kolke
223,896
200.2


Musings need not be a monologue, but to make it a dialogue is dependent upon your responses, which are welcomed - please write me feedback/comments.

To subscribe to Mark's Musings daily email distribution, write to
musing@maxcomm.ca

©2007 MaxComm Communications, all rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?