Thursday, May 31, 2007

 

this-a- way - Thursday May 31, 2007




[published from Maui Kamaole, Kihei, Maui, Hawaii]

when I started these morning missives it was private; in the beginning there were just 7 other people looking over my shoulder as I walked, pondered the day and wrote of it; the group grew, private long ago shifted to public - not without noticing - despite some challenges, this-a-way is better idea by far; my comments, the feedback of readers . . . just there, for anyone to see, for anyone to learn something or not, to like it or not, to leave it or not; exposure this-a- way of what is real, real feelings, real reactions, real impulse floats my boat

overnight cool still hanging (to be 83F again today), barefoot beach walk round trip, cinnamon roll, coffee, solitude, gentled waves lap feet, I-pod decorated walkers nod or mouth 'hello', their feet in cool morning sand, their minds many time zones away; imagine spreading creamy sunshine all over an island shaped cake with a wide spatula, gentle strokes making dips and dives and swirls and piques - that describes this sleepy Maui morn; what could possibly make the world not go perfectly round on a day that starts this-a- way?

metaphors pale - there are few places where you can say 'that's the most gorgeous view I've ever seen' only to find yourself discarding that thought minutes later looking this-a- way or that to utter same words - same furvor; 'twas the case yesterday; I followed the Kula highway past the Haleakala turn-off to find turns (not requiring speed signs because a wreck left there is far better warning; no way to know if decades old or left the road yesterday), suffice to say it is drive slow territory; (picture attached taken from the Kula highway, in the rain, looking NW down on Kihei, the valley, Ma'laaea Bay and with Molokai off to the left)

reader commented this experience can be had anywhere, reinforced by some good points made by EA and BB - points I've pondered too

why is the peace I find here not peace I can find anywhere, at home, over here or over there?

just by spending the time – geography incidental; four ingredients I think – place, time, attitude, mind – come together anywhere; my fifth ingredient - can be present in body or in mind is someone to walk with who wants to hold you; not to be held, not to hold back, but just to be connected . . . it does not always require physical proximity, but so much nicer when it does

clear-thinking, microscopic truth telling, an improved ability to see things more clearly for what they are, my willingness to accept things the way they are – these are learned skills, taught skills; I am indebted to many who helped me this-a- way . . or that

I feel empowered to live it, love it, risk it, reward it . . anywhere I am, every day because wherever I am imagination flows here, creativity flows here; when I am in Maui time slows here . . or at least it seems to pause . . saying where I am, writing what I am doing, feeling what I am, exposing what I am thinking – not just what I see but what I feel – is something I would have described differently to a close confidante than to a stranger a few years ago, whereas now there is no dotted line

this-a- way

aloha

Mark Kolke
224,568
204.0

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?