Monday, May 28, 2007

 

nothing is forever - Monday May 28, 2007




[published from Maui Kamaole, Kihei, Maui, Hawaii]

70F, going to 84F today, slight chance of rain; absolutely spectacular at 5 AM, I was standing outside under a phenomenal star canopy (there is an observatory on Maui, so volume and direction of outdoor night-lighting is restricted); it was silent, still, complete darkness except for that roof; as light slowly appeared, sounds followed ; my today-plan involved a golf booking at Makena, but my cut left foot is not up for it yet, maybe tomorrow or Wed. (photo attached -scroll down- was taken yesterday from the marina at Ma'aleea Bay looking SE across to Kihei/Wailea/Makena)

I accepted it far more easily than I thought it might - there is something about depth and quality of truth that is hard to match with any other experience, but first I needed to know me things; visiting Maui this time was part experiment . . . not all that scientific, designed to test some assumptions, to find out if some things that used to be true still are - some
are, some are not which proves little in the great scheme of things but has brought some profound learning for me; I need to challenge some other 'assumptions' as a result of that learning; I can think of no better time, no better place, no better method

walking a beach or a freshly tilled field - a physical connection to the earth (could we call this being grounded?); tilling the soil or wiggling our feet into the sand . . either way we are connecting ourselves directly to the planet – I don’t mean to play word games with this, but think about it . . . farmers get it, but how can city dwellers; beach walkers get it, but how could fisherman or sailors?

when physically connected to this planet – as opposed to skipping along the surface – are we more deeply engaged, do we feel more a part of it?

my brain is feeling freshly tilled, fresh things un-earthed, some old ones turned under - this is how new growth begins; this is good I think; is it not?

scientists look for things (ie: gravity, speed of light, properties of the elements, equations, formulae) not by thinking them up but by seeing that they are universally true; experimenting to see if there are circumstances in which they are not true, testing assumptions until there is a law or principle that is established – unswerving, something that is true in all cases, at all times, in all ways, always

finding out something is not true – when we have spent a long time thinking it was is challenging; just as it took a while for people to accept that the world was round . . in the end, they came ‘round no matter how firm they were in their flat-earth beliefs

I had something deeply ingrained in my mind; I was certain it was certain only now I know it was neither certain nor true nor universal; it took a long time in the learning but when the learning happened it was very swift

forever and always (FAA) have been words of great meaning to me for a long time – because I accepted they were true and because of my love for the person who coined them; I realize now that nothing is forever unless it is absolutely proven in all conditions . . under all circumstances

like flat-earth believers, it takes time to adjust to an understanding that something I believed in so strongly was based on some faulty assumptions - or maybe it was based on my hope changes that naturally unfold would somehow change in a particular way, mine, simply because I wanted them to

I think I’ll go exploring up-country and over in the Haiku area today; I’ll explore where local farmers connect to the earth to see if I feel grounded there . . . it’s hilly there

I know it won’t be flat

aloha

Mark Kolke
224,640
203.2

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?