Wednesday, May 30, 2007

 

look for it - Wednesday May 30, 2007




[published from Maui Kamaole, Kihei, Maui, Hawaii]

high of 83F predicted again today, slight chance of showers, mostly sunny; (photo attached was taken on Monday looking eastward into Paia Bay from Baldwin Park), walking alone . . on any beach anywhere is better than not walking, feeling alone is better than not feeling, being alone is better than not being

I’ve been looking for it here – maybe I’ve found it; you know - the secret of happiness, the joy of life, the essence of living, the ultimate fulfillment of our ultimate desires in the land of promise . . or is that the promised land?

. . in any case, I think we all look for it - the key that unlocks secrets, the deep penetration of our dark inner spaces – the place we go to hide when we are afraid, to brood when we are troubled, to dream when we are inspired, to rise out of when we are driven to action . .

an afternoon well wasted in Maui Meadows yesterday - spent, I was well wasted after 2 hrs. of rigorous work (hers, not mine) on JS's massage table had wrung every ounce of stress leaving me limp, my kneads met; the remains of the day was sleepy slow, filled with a little reading, a
little writing, lots of walking aimlessly on the beach soaking up atmosphere, looking, looking for it

water calm this morning, me too

waves at my feet were about 80 ft. from where they were coming to where I was sitting last night – I went down to watch that last hour beach walkers and, as they approach their ‘denouement’ (in literature - a series of events that follow a dramatic or narrative's climax serving as the conclusion of the story; conflicts resolved, creating normality for the characters – a catharsis . . a release of tension and anxiety, for the reader; dénouement is the unraveling or untying of the complexities of a plot)

the ‘fabulous Maui sunset’ – I went to look for it, but it fizzled, or maybe it didn’t; as a visual experience it was just a waste of camera clicks, but as a human experience it was something else I think I need to repeat before drawing firm conclusions but for now I am convinced I should come to the beach more often at sunset to see what I have been missing

observing beach walkers, couples in particular - it did not seem to matter much that there was little of interest to see on the horizon; the magic (being alone I admit I sensed it too) of walking slowly on the beach, warm water lapping up on toes, the sea coming in for the night while palm fronds sway above, people smiling more easily - relaxation radiating much more than any other time of day on the beach; I made some calls to share the experience with KN and MM . .

I waited and watched - so many do - but it did not come; clouds over Molokai prevented any kind of glorious light show from appearing; I felt somewhat voyeuristic, as I was in for much more than ‘garden variety people watching’ - the looks on faces, the walking close, the stopping, the gestures, the occasional glance at the waves and setting sun – then back to each other gripped in deep talk, calm talk, meaningful talk – I walked among them to hear only tones and inflection, to see lines and creases pulled into smiles or twisted toward difficulty as their words disappeared in the breeze . . heard by the palms perhaps, otherwise just gone with the wind (sorry, I’ll go for the easy pun whenever I can)

someone sent me an email wondering if I was missing Calgary - I didn’t know it was missing, but I’ll be back soon to help you look for it

aloha

Mark Kolke
224,592
204.5

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?