Thursday, March 29, 2007

 

Thursday Mar. 29, 2007 - try it


[written and published from Calgary]

-3C/27F, clear and warming . . a gorgeous day ahead; Gusta still in heat, seeking tall handsome strangers . . to no avail, owner sighs happily; traffic hums, heavy equipment rumbles in the next subdivision cell as spring excavations for shallow services get under way

nice to hear from CB yesterday; she replied to musings on her blackberry from Little Beach in Maui (how do you carry one of those there?) – so nice to know you’ve been able to get some much needed ‘let your hair down’ time ; you are in the right place for that . .

lately I’ve been thinking about that choices I make, the timing of choices; realizing my sense of timing is getting better (its about time!); I grew up learning that choices were yes/no, on/off, good/bad sorts of things; in my late twenties I was taking a course where the concept of ‘don’t make a decision’ was made clear to me; the notion that one of the most appropriate options was ‘not to make a decision right now’; perhaps I was late learning it, but it has benefited me lots in any case

is it all about risk/reward, forward/back?

I think solving . . meeting these challenges is more about choice/consequences, about drive/desire

I think achievement goes beyond those elements; I think high achievement comes to those who meet the challenges, solve the problems . . with added ingredients that zealously pursue noble goals and . . . . which are about quenching thirst, about aiming high, about doing good, about spending ourselves to exhaustion, to the edges of complete destruction if necessary in pursuit of something noble (sorry, it's this Don Quixote complex of mine rearing its head again . . or does it ever step aside?)

'first meeting' with a referred new client yesterday added fuel to this little fire; it seems every time I get a glimpse at a new business/industry these days my learning about people and their motives delivers new learning perspective, fresh solutions emerge each time I encounter people with 'new complex problems'; strong cash flow makes gridlock situations solvable - each element I've seen many times before but this is a new combo - which makes me wonder if
all the problems have been invented already; have they?

in our relationships, in our business and volunteer ventures – each time we bump into a wall, each time we struggle to overcome an obstacle, is this problem unique to us, is it ours alone or is it one that hundreds, thousands or hundreds of thousands of people have encountered before?

every time we have a complex problem on our doorstep, I think we (I tend to do it) approach it as though this particular complex problem has never happened to anyone else – ever; which tends to have us hunkered down wrestling with ‘our problem’ rather than openly seeking a solution from those who’ve had this problem before; I used to think this was a weirdness of my own . . . . but the more I explore these ideas with people it seems, yet again, there are many who think the same way

try it . . tell someone your problem in full open detail

try it . . tell someone why you care about the issues at the root of your problem

try it . . tell someone what makes your heart beat

try it . . tell someone what stirs your spirit

try it . . you might have an epiphany . . a moment of saying, ‘ah-ha, this IS who I am’ and after that happens, nothing can stop you, nothing will prevent you from solving problems, all those major mountains that stand in your way will be minor speed-bumps, hiccups, cuts and bruises; to all who struggle and to JJ . . try it

try it . . try it today, try it tonight, try it all day, try it all night; spend your energy, your courage, your ideas on the most worthwhile project of all . . a work in progress that really really really deserves all you can give it .. to every last drop of blood, every last bead of sweat - YOU . .

Mark Kolke
225,980
201.8

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?