Sunday, February 18, 2007

 

Sunday Feb. 18, 2007 – shelter


[written and published from Calgary]

4C/39F, strong warm winds toss Chinook clouds around, the sky a moving blue canvas; water in the streets, the snow wet, just right for perfect snowballs; Gusta unsure if she should eat some or wait to drink it or seek shelter

“I felt it shelter to speak to you.” - Emily Dickinson

to those who are there for me, rain or shine, you honour me, you help me, you make me better and I always enjoy talking with you; sometimes the speaking is a tap on the shoulder, a hug when I am down, a cheer when I am up ... or an email reminder or a little something that makes me laugh or smile . . thank you

everybody needs this; not every day, but everybody needs this

we drove through Chinatown - gung hay fat choy - as new year’s celebrations (year of the pig) got underway – heading north on Centre Street to a scrumptious dinner; I recommend the seafood platter at Da Guido followed by dessert at Bonterra . . what a fantastic treat; coffee and chocolate appropriately combined prevent sleep before 3:30AM; the company very good too

everybody needs this; not every night, but everybody needs this

I don't want to be around people who agree with me to be agreeable, I don't want to be around people who tell me how much they know or how great they are any more than if they tell me how great I am; I want to be around people who tell me and show me who they are - being real, being failed and flawed sometimes, being extraordinary at others

everybody needs this; not every week, but everybody needs this

knowing someone more deeply than before – the drilling down – passes through many layers, it pierces old ways, old views, and snippets which represent nothing even close to a full picture; some people know us well – not because of how deep we drill or how fast we drill but because we care to drill, some barely know us at all because they can’t be bothered to try

everybody needs this; not every month, but everybody needs this

sometimes that can be the learning that comes lingering over dinner conversation, sometimes it is the hushed tones of the middle of the night, sometimes it is a comforting note or an understanding ear

everybody needs this; not every year, but everybody needs this

if someone made a single statement, an off-hand remark or a point of view – however misguided we think it might be in the moment – is that what they are made of? how they treat us on good days and bad days or any day or any other day matters more than everything else, good or bad, happy or sad

everybody needs this; not all the time, but everybody needs this

in a strong wind I seek shelter, everybody needs this; I can still taste the scampi, I can still taste you

Mark Kolke
226,916
203.4

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?