Thursday, January 18, 2007

 

Thursday Jan. 18, 2007 – Keawa Kapu

[written & published at Kameole Sands, Kihei, Maui]

forecast today, mostly sunny with isolated showers, highs around 80 at the shore , chance of rain 20%; I slept late so my beach walk did not start till after 8 . .

my flight yesterday was a 2 stage one with 5 hours at LAX in between; the wait was worth it because Row 29 on the Maui leg of the flight was great - Steve the car cleaning products salesman from Akron bound for Lahaina to visit his friend who runs the Bubba Gump restaurant there, Sue the dancer and personal trainer from NYC bound for Kihei to meet her sister for r&r, swimming and restaurant exploration . . and I . . had as pleasant a time as any 3 strangers are permitted

maybe it is ‘becoming a frequent visitor’, maybe it is because I am familiar with geography and process – but when I drove from the Hertz lot to Kihei last night I felt like I was coming home after seven months on vacation in Calgary; proof positive that what happens in Maui, never stays in Maui – it brings you back any time you think of it

I was awakened by a cacophony of birds, birds of paradise perhaps, I guess I set the alarm incorrectly but for a first day that’s OK

my morning walk on my favorite and most frequently walked beach: Keawa Kapu starts at the Five Palms hotel just south of the Kihei boat launch, a 45 minute walk south to the Fairmont where beach walking gear would need to be replaced by rock climbing equipment, then back again with an apple Danish and coffee reward at the Fairmont; mostly beach and some paths like a sea wall above the rocks, the view is unparalleled

it is whale watching season, but the only thing bobbing were scuba boats and people wrapped in neoprene, snorkels and visions of what is beneath the surface; as a non-swimmer I am content with a more than ample view of what is above the surface

I usually walk much earlier to observe scenery, marvel at the waves lapping at my feet and to experience the quiet magnificence of this place where sky, ocean and lava have melded natural beauty as its own art form, meant for just me but I am happy to share it with everyone

my timing today offered a different brand of site-seeing observations- this beach crowd provided ample people watching opportunities; the divisions of the population falling into two groups no matter what your vantage point; the pale first day types like me and the ‘last day here’ types, each impatiently squeezing every ounce of value from the experience; barrel chested young men and those who’s barrels have slipped a foot or two; honeymooners and non-honeymooners, those who’ve had several honeymoons and those who’ve never had one; classic beauties and worn out-beaters (sound like car references), those with I-pods, those without; those in pairs, those alone; those without an agenda, those without a care; those who say good morning, those who don’t; those on their cell phones, those not; those wonderful gardening staff who manicure the grounds of hotels and high-end condos and those who wish those guys worked in Omaha or Saskatoon or wherever home is; those identified by age, not vocation, those with a new lease on life, those whose lease is running out; couples bickering (yes, bickering), those who left their stress points behind

a few people walk dogs, most don’t; some were little lap-dog runabouts, the best were the hard to control big pups . . challenging for their owners, reminiscent of Gusta who would go nuts in this place

for the benefit of the men in my audience – I must tell you the scenery is a mix of all shapes, some with after-market equipment from silicon valley (though any similarity to a Victoria Secret fashion show would be very much overstating the case); for observers of the female form the wide variety of sport/jogging/work-out clothing gives new meaning to the term ‘asset management’ if you catch my drift; size 2 is scrumptious no matter what but some larger bodies are only heavenly if the round shapes are held reasonably in place; in any case, the observing can cause neck strain or back difficulties for the watcher to say nothing of the impact on the ‘vacation athletes’ themselves

my back and neck could sure use a massage (I'll blame 2 long plane rides!), but first order of business is to get organized, book some tee-times, make some calls and augment my stock of groceries hastily picked up last night (NEVER shop when you are hungry they say)

first unwind day is beginning its unwind nicely

on the other hand, I am not sure if it is time for lunch or a nap . . oh well . .

aloha,

Mark
337,660
205.5

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?