Sunday, January 28, 2007

 

Sunday Jan. 28, 2007 - a call from home


[written & published at Kamaole Sands, Kihei, Maui]

sunny, high 76-81F, SW wind 10 mph, high surf advisory; the fire appears to be out, a couple of whisps of smoke remain; morning sun had a long and glorious arrival while a storm engulfed the north half of the island leaving behind a magnificent rainbow over the valley

yesterday I went as far south as roads allow south of Makena, part of it driving through/over a lava flow area that looks as fresh as if it happened last week - hundreds of acres of rock without so much as a weed growing - I was told it was 450 years ago; at one point it is possible to walk along a trail that goes out as far as the lava spilled into ocean .. but when it says 'trail ends' (scroll down to see photo taken from there) only fools and sure footed birds would dare venture

I dozed off watching TV last night; I awoke to a ringing phone; was it the last ring or the only ring? . . . was it ringing for a long time before I woke, was it a wrong number, was it someone calling out to me, was it real, was it a dream? … was it a call from home?

I sent an email this morning - I had just hit send when the phone rang; I said ‘gee, that was fast’ . . but the email took a minute or so longer to arrive

instead of counting ‘days here’ I find myself focused on how few I have left before heading home - my morning dog-less walks will soon end; I wonder if Gusta is counting the days?

countless poems have been written about home being where your loved ones are; but what about home as a state of mind rather than a place?

I am going home soon; this has been a wonderful rest but vacations have to end, lots of things draw me back to Calgary; this time and place has been incredible, but going home will be the easiest thing I will have done since I got here

“A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.”
– George Moore

3 sleeps till I am home

Aloha

Mark Kolke
337,420
206.0

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?