Sunday, January 21, 2007

 

Sunday Jan. 21, 2007 - if it is all the same to you


[written & published at Kamaole Sands, Kihei, Maui]

Maui weather today: sunny, isolated afternoon showers, high 81 at the shore, light south winds up to 10 mph this afternoon, chance of rain 20%; birds started singing at 5:43AM; today’s photo attachment (scroll down) shot from the Makena North course, looking south-westerly over the 15th green

yesterday was mostly cloudy wherever I was; my 92 was a happy 1st round of the year - included 1 par, a handful of delightful shots, the remainder need work as do my right hand and left shoulder (I resist using any word that sounds close to arthritic); I need to remember athletes who are not hurting a little are just not enjoying the game enough; I had fun playing
with Bill and Barbara from Minneapolis (their 3rd round of the year) in their early 60's they giggle way more than most - Barbara explained they don't play for money, they play for sex; he spots her a stroke a hole but I think he cheats on the score card so she can win, so he can pay up; they DID NOT invite me to join them for après golf drinks as I think they were in a hurry to get back to their room; if this was the restaurant scene in 'When Harry Met Sally' I think I'd ask the waiter if I could have what they are having

mahola to LS who pointed out my spelling of Kamaole had a vowel error . . now repaired; yesterday I wrote about our ‘sameness’; EJ took exception to nearly every syllable in a pissy reply I won't be printing - proof positive I was right - as I remember so many times my knee has jerked in ways I couldn't control because I was hurting over something I thought had never happened to anyone else or when I'd never felt so wronged before . . because, even in that self-indulgent petulant behaviour, from time to time we have all done it . . we are ALL the same
my POINT, is that in all our shapes, sizes, roles in life and deepest nature .... that we are alike, the same, have the same needs and have, largely, the same experiences in life; I mean . . we spend so much of our efforts to outwardly show how unique and different we are, we aspire to creature comforts . . to 'things' as merit badges of achievement . . when deep down we are ALL the same
we all have needs, wants, hopes, desires and capabilities that are ALL the things humans are capable of . . you, me , everyone . . it is ALL the same
we can masquerade as many things – as rich man, poor man; as hard working or lazy; as using our abilities or not; living up to our potential or down to some common denominator; we can be anything we want, go wherever we want or do whatever we want – the only thing stopping us is our struggle/or not with our own mind; the only obstacle between each of us and the life we dream of is our approach in our own minds; in this we ARE all the same

our need to be loved, to have someone to love; our need for warmth and food and worthy challenges in life is universal – and – while our DNA proves our individual uniqueness, our frailty and humility in the face of life’s realities proves as surely as anything physical or medical that we are all the same; like socks we come in a variety of styles, sizes, colours and material differences . . but we are ALL the same . . it matters not if we are going to or coming from Minneapolis or Calgary or Kenosha or Namibia or Maui . . we ARE all the same

EJ, you can pretend to be so very different from all the rest, you can vent today because you are not happy about your circumstances . . someone else will tomorrow . . another next month, but the emotions coursing through you, the drivers motivating you are no different than those that drive us all, no different than the menu of choices we all have from time to time; in our struggle to be unique decision makers in our own lives that distinguish ourselves as unique – which we are – the desires, pursuits, processes and emotions are ALL the same

this morning's walk was spectacular . . but 5 human and 1 canine set of footprints preceded me southbound; I never caught up to the jogger, I passed the others; as I came up to the guy walking his 'Bouvier-look' dog I found the footprints double the size of Gusta's . . more like a small bear than a dog; the owner explained his Newfoundland was sporting a bad short haircut; his dog old, he walked at its pace . . we are ALL the same

early morning beach sightings included sandals and toys forgotten, holes and trails of recently vacated sand crabs and folks who spent the night on the beach; not homeless types or left-overs from parties, a mix of singles and couples, chose to spend the night with overwhelmed by the soothing relentless pulse of the surf . . .

I saw one whale breeching this morning . . then the fluke arched high in the air, then sliding beneath the waves as if filmed in slow motion

I passed Toronto Julie and her hubby walking; as he looked on with a cranky ‘how do you know this guy?’ look on his face - she advised they had not seen any whales today; I smiled and walked on, keeping my sighting treasure to myself until I could share it with people I care about; are we ALL the same?

I think so

I’m hunkering down today to do some work so I can play later; somewhere far away someone else is hunkering down today so they can play later . . that’s how I see it; hope you can work and play and hope and dream just like everyone else

that is, if it is all the same to you

aloha

Mark Kolke
337,588
204.5

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?