Monday, January 22, 2007

 

Monday Jan. 22, 2007 - mango sweetness


[written & published at Kamaole Sands, Kihei, Maui]

Maui weather today: isolated showers this afternoon, highs around 81 at the shore, SW winds up to 10 mph, chance of rain 20%; attached picture (scroll down) of West Maui Mountains (2 of them anyway) taken from roadside as the sun was going down when I drove to Lahaina for dinner yesterday

yesterday was ‘newsletter work day’ for me so some relief was required; first a long walk on the Kam beaches (Kamaole I, II, III and Charley Young Beach) amid Sunday afternoon crowds – tourists + locals getting their kids out to build sand castles before a picnic on the beach

as afternoon sun broke through I spent an hour or so working on my tan at a quieter beach

last year – sitting on a beach, I began a book ‘The Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire’ by Deepak Chopra; on returning home I set it aside . . looked at it a few times but never picked it up with any focus until I returned here – that seemed a fitting way to finish it – and yesterday I did; I am not so sure I got anything special out of the wait, but it seemed like this was a book I should read on a beach, one that I should read HERE on a beach, the same beach; symbolism was not my concern but the surroundings and the mood it evoked were - a good choice I think, a good read that provoked lots of thinking and a better understanding of self . . or maybe just a better perspective on beaches

when I first came to Maui (6 yrs ago I think it was) my reaction after 40 minutes was ‘I want to live here’; at that point I had no sense of its magic, its ‘centre of the universe’ feel, the mood it invokes or its many pleasures; nonetheless its pull was strong, immediate and clear

recently I've found a much more centered feeling for myself; the ‘centre of the universe’
feeling is something I could probably enjoy in many places the world over, but for now I'll
keep thinking of this as the home I haven't moved to yet . . . . so the thought will just have to do

the ‘sun in my eyes’ drive to Lahaina for dinner with DLC was as enjoyable as a 2 lane ‘emergency stopping only’ twisting turning road can be . . but worth the trip; lovely meal, lovely company, lovely town followed by a drive back under a clear moonless sky . . . stars seem so much closer here, a place where city glare is a thousand miles away

this morning's walk . . only the Labrador and his walker were out in front of me, otherwise
the carvings of the outgoing tide left me a fresh landscape to imprint; I caught up to
Honey-Bear which is a peculiar name for a black dog, but it is fitting for that bear-like
appearance

one walker stood out this morning; I’ve seen him each day near the Fairmont end of my walk . . most likely a resident of one of those multi-million dollar condos; he is mid to late 80’s, he walks with a cane; a big man who walks with an easy gait, his casual clothes indicate high quality and good taste – an elderly gentle man image if there ever was one; his Bose headset hooked to an I-pod cranked up loud enough I could sound but not make out the tunes . . but watching him ‘walk to his music’ felt good as it appeared to give him some lightness in his steps . . maybe he should meet Honey-Bear

I wonder if I will be doing that 30 years from now with a dog and/or a two legged companion, or alone like him

I see lots of people here who look lonely; some are alone, some not

I see lots of people here who look joyous; some are alone, some not . . but I am sure
those happy ones . . the alone ones who are not lonely, those solitary AND happy ones are not alone in their minds . . . . so the thought will just have to do

. . then again, alone is ok today, just not every day

I returned to my condo to re-schedule today’s
golf to another day, tasting some sweet
mango (spontaneous fulfillment of desire'), sipping great coffee; I think a drive
somewhere is in order . . . up-country or the volcano . . or not

sometimes we can get as much pleasure thinking about something special as we can by actually experiencing it . . . not exactly the same, but consider this . . if you want to enjoy the sweetness of that mango there will be times when the mango is not available . . so the thought will just have to do

Aloha

Mark Kolke
337,564
205.4

Comments:
I also think of Maui as the home I haven't moved to yet. Came from California to Oahu, and hope to someday move to Maui. Loved the post, very lyrical. Your thoughts about "alone but not lonely" and "the thought will just have to do" speak to me. Thank you! :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?