Saturday, November 25, 2006

 

Saturday Nov. 25, 2006 – Harry wisdom

-21C/-5F, overcast & calm; Gusta and the black lab across the lagoon were both off-leash, enthusiastic and hastily re-leashed by their owners to prevent the run-off; even the stuck up Scottie owner said ‘good morning’

Carla and Krista arrived last night; lots to talk about – shopping & hanging out are on our agenda for today and tomorrow; great to have these incredible visitors who do nothing but make me proud; many years ago I tried to put in practice the wisdom of Harry Truman:
‘I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it.’

Harry was right, about many things in politics, in relationships, in life; perhaps he was right about something else, when one considers the recent dialogue on homelessness and needs for affordable housing . . something he said might be a diagnosis of the problem . . or maybe a prescription for finding a solution:
‘It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit’

politics of course is ALL about people taking credit, though so much of 'getting it their way' often is the result of someone else 'getting it very wrong', in other words someone's good fortune is the product of someone else's gaff as much as wisdom or forethought or political savvy

often we remark at how something serendipitous happened, how events, circumstances and ideas collide, but why, how, how come, what for; but what signals a great day, a pleasant time or some special omen?

what are the signs - is it an eagle flying overhead? a broken shoe lace? a dead battery or a a sore throat? . . are these signs of something good or bad about to happen or just stuff that happens to people sometimes? I was looking for signs this morning but, finding none, I will just have to muddle through somehow

I am not sure if I can handle another week of the run-off of the talking heads, columnists and spin-doctors telling me who is really in 1st, 2nd or 3rd place, who is right as rain, who is yesterday’s man

my question du jour is this; will we recognize our province or our country 5 years from now, 10 years from now based on an election decision this Saturday . . or next?

are we choosing the lesser of the evils, are they each lumps of coal, or will one truly be a diamond in the rough waiting to lead us to heights never dreamt?

I wonder, if they were interested in participating in the choice – or better yet, if they were making the choice for all of us, how those without a place to live in this prosperous city would vote – who would they choose as the next premier of the province; more to the point, would any of the candidates have the guts to place the decision in those hands?

maybe it is time to ask more people what they want to do, then advise them to do it?

few great things can be explained by accident – probably as many as result from great deliberation; while it seems Mr. Harper is stick-handling nicely with Quebec (fall-out to be determined), in Alberta the hard work of many will culminate in the election (possibly) of a new premier for our province today though most likely there will be a run-off vote next week among the top three contenders

I am taking my daughters our for some well deserved retail therapy, to the gym and off to see the new movie ‘Bobby’

the high light of my day will have little to do with shopping, politics or the movies; though we love to talk about them all the tour de force will be a big feast (short ribs for Krista and me, non-meat chicken things for vegetarian Carla), laughter and a generous serving of Harry’s advice

Mark
338,956

Comments:
Hi Mark,

Can you relay a message for me please. Please tell krista thank-you, for leaving, When you are in love with someone you don't always see how bad the relationship is, and you think you can't live without them at first as I did. I was recently in Edmonton last week and was just reminded of our time together. I thought it was a waste of 3 years of my life that I would never get back.......in fact I guess it was just training.

Now it seems I am a celebrity in this town and I am getting more ass than a toilet seat, after getting out of another relationship recently wih a beautiful young Dutch girl due to mitigating circumstances I am starting one with Becky but she reminds me a lot of Krista. They almost have the exact same birthday only Becky is 3 years younger, and she's a fitness nazi too. I guess I'll see if this one works.

Anyways between my house, my dog, my SUV, my job, my girls and the gym I haven't had Krista cross my mind in a while, but Edmonton jogged my memory. Since we left on such bad terms tell her I'm sorry and she was right...see I am learning......I will always love her maybe just not in the same way. Should she need anything...anything at all she can call me. Also tell her Vegas isn't the same without her and i wish her along with her family (yes even you Mark) all the best. Seeing as you just went to Hawaii... I'm going at Easter any suggestions...other than getting another tattoo in the traditional manner my slate is clean. Lastly, seeing as you like quotes, I'll leave you with one "People are more likely to believe a quote if it is anonymous" by anonymous

Not so anonymous
DJ
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?