Tuesday, November 21, 2006

 

Nov. 21 Comments – piling on


I'm not sure that "Self Help" needs the general classification you ascribe to it. I AM trying to help myself, I AM on a journey... better to live a life examined rather than (gosh, I hope this does not apply to you) make sweeping statements about a genre with which one has little experience. Psycho babble may apply to a listener who simply does not have the knowledge to appreciate what is being said or it could be babble or worse, drivel, sometimes it's hard to tell. So I do read self help and yes, I have helped myself - Isn't that one of the things our Christian God wants from us? Who should I blame? Well, why bother... that would mean that I'm wallowing in the past and not being "present" and living in a Zen-style now. If I wanted to blame someone that would mean that I'm holding on to anger and hostility rather than forgiving and forgetting and making plans for a better future (while, of course, holding on to my "present" consciousness). So, yes read your self help book or Bible or whatever thing it is that takes you further in the direction of improvement and goodness. Honor yourself for trying... oops, that could mean helping yourself. ch, chimacum
. . .
In my experience using the term new agey may be an invitation to express yourself spiritually in any manner other than espousing a belief in one God other than oneself. Stating that you are a spiritual person may be common ground, if in fact you are. In my experience all belief systems other than agnostic, Christian, Muslim and Jewish are presumed to be vaguely, and to varying degrees, consistent with new agey. Since some new age practices include rituals, it might not be respectful to disdain rituals. New age, secular humanism. agnosticism, atheism and religions are all belief systems and people who react with disdain to any belief system can unexpectedly and deeply offend listeners who are not operating in thick skin mode at the time. If in doubt, why go there. I find it interesting to hear how people define new age, there are various practices and I am still learning. I also find it interesting that my generation, having adapted to unnamed secular humanism in the classroom, now has so many people attracted to new age. I believe (!) that having a belief system is a part of the human condition and that is one reason why we need freedom of belief in Charters of Rights, LHE, Calgary
. . .
People change, life goes on, enjoy the ride/journey, knowledge/books only help you articulate what you already know. You missed my birthday, I had a blast! Nov. 20. Forgot to mention. thanks for pushing me out of the airplane WITH a parachute that works. Perfect metaphor for what's gone on. I promise not to send too many emails to musings lest you feel pursued vs amused. Who knows maybe my own blog would quench my own thirst to communicate, DR, Calgary
. . .
oh mark.......well said!.........it's so simple really,........ all u have to do is get to know yourself, ............accept yourself,........... trust yourself .............find your self worth,.........know your strengths, work on your weaknesses, ............take the consequences of your own actions..........feel the fear..........and go for it anyhow.........mine is a gentler one then yours, but i am so glad u are enjoying your ride too!......, CG, Morningside

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?