Sunday, October 15, 2006

 

Sunday Oct. 15, 2006 - Year 4, Day 208 - a matter of inconvenience



5C/41F, overcast; après rain freshness is everywhere, so quiet, Gusta’s undercarriage is dripping from her forays into the tall grass – I think she likes the feel of the wetness on her face she gets roaming in there

I saw the new Robin Williams flick ‘Man of the Year’ with AW last night; good political spoof but not Willliams at his best comedic or dramatic performance by any stretch; lingering cold/cough/hack mode has me benched again today from much activity; dinner with my dad will have to wait for another day – hack, hack

a collection of friends grows in strange ways; some people come & go, some grow close – then apart, some are important in our life (or we in theirs) for only a finite time – when the usefulness is gone the need to stay close wanes – then they are gone

everywhere I look there are people trying to make some sense of something; for one it might be to understand the behaviour of someone else, or their own; for another it might be the negotiation of terms between two people who both want the same thing but cannot figure out if is possible with each other, with others or with anyone

‘The least of things with a meaning is worth more in life than the greatest of things without it.’ – Carl Jung

Jung had it right, so did Frankl; but will you & I have it right?

to say little things matter is so cliché as if it means that larger things matter less somehow; big things can matter too, not because they are big, but because there is some little thing about them that matters; little things matter to me too sometimes, except when they don’t matter at all – then those little things are just an inconvenience – as things that do not matter often are

people, little things, thoughts, choices & reasons are often inconvenient

there should never be anything convenient about them

they are almost always inconvenient

they should be inconvenient

it is because they matter

someone recently wrote asking who I was and if they knew me, as if that mattered at all
I risk little, the prize could be great

someone who recently read some musing history on the blog said nice things but asked ‘why so public?’

I risk little, the prize could be great

I’ve been meaning to write a letter to someone I don’t know; it should be a little 5 minute exercise but I have been ruminating for a week, re-writing & rephrasing in my head – I guess it matters; the tone, the voice, the details matter; it might not capture someone’s interest at all

should I let it slip by, an opportunity lost through fear or apathy?

I risk little, the prize could be great

the most important little things in life - choices, people, adventures are all a little inconvenient sometime, but it matters

so risk a little

the prize could be great

Mark
339,940

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?