Thursday, October 19, 2006

 

Oct. 19 Comments – check your pulse

Someone asked Yakusan, who was sitting in meditation, "What are you doing here?" He replied, "I am not doing anything." "If so, you are sitting in idleness." "Sitting in idleness is doing something." "You say you are not doing anything, but what is this 'anything' that you are doing?" "Even the ancient sages know not," replied Yakusan. (Susuki, Studies in Zen, p.59) Was thinking of the 'St. Augustine' quote you used in contrast to your ideas on adventure . . . perhaps there's a balance in the equation, ie: a human 'being' vs a human 'doing'?, JP, Calgary
. . .
Good advice, thanks, KG, Calgary
. . .
A quick response to BB re good news and our everyday lives only being noteworthy (newsworthy) if bad things happen. I think things become noteworthy if something out of the ordinary happens. For instance, as I was biking through Fish Creek this evening a trick of light and shadow on the clouds created 'God rays'. For me, that is noteworthy and I am happy to report this news event to anyone I think is able to appreciate small moments of beauty. That being said I usually don't report it because too many people just don't care about these sorts of things, which brings to mind a quote by Albert Einstein: "He to whom this emotion [ sensation of the mystical] is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead." I guess that encompasses what I find important in life. By the way - enjoy your musings and wonder if I might run into you in the Park one day since I spend a fair amount of time down there., SH, Calgary
. . .
Hello Mark, My name Is XXXXX in Calgary Alberta. I thought I should inform you, that I'm receiving some emails your sending. Possibly due to an error in address. I'd hate to deprive the individual, they're intended for. I just thought you might like to know. Take care, DM, Calgary
. . .
Im sure todays musing was for my benefit.It hit so very close to home. Thankyou for that. Now to DO , TO GO...to seek..whatever.. I will certainly try. GG, Calgary
. . .
regarding your musings this morning .......... I think I have too much excitement in my life right now, too much on my plate so I'm trying to cut back and remember to enjoy smelling the daisies. I'm trying to live as if I have only 20 minutes left to live- by doing what I enjoy doing the most - putting my feet up on a comfy couch and daydreaming, SM, Calgary

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?