Saturday, October 14, 2006

 

Oct. 14 Comments – in the middle of the night

I thought of you when I read this and how you are able to see the world around you in so many ways. Hope you are feeling better. I am likely overly conscious of my rest and sleep so I don’t get sick…. It also keeps me balanced, patient and kind to others. Over tired bears are cranky creatures, DB, Red Deer
"To her lover a beautiful woman is a delight;
to a monk she is a distraction; to a mosquito,
a good meal." - Zen proverb
. . .
re: What he wants to do - "It's about time, it's about space, About two "people" in the strangest place." After our discussions, Mark I wanted to elaborate on the career/relationship crunch that many of us face. Our daily allocation of 24 hours is precious, as I review how I've spent mine over the past several decades I think I see a pattern in my life. Unrelenting hard work, an over allocation of my 24 hours has provided financial security, a sense of achievement, intellectual challenges and rewards, and a rich variety of professional and personal relationships. It has also contributed to loss of physical fitness, narrowing of my personal vision and goals, and was a major factor in my marriage breakdown. Certainly my career has extracted a price. However, when I compare the return on investment on the time invested in my career (in the past six months) against the ROI of "relationship development". I have to say that the career wins again. Granted the elapsed time is not sufficient to draw final conclusions; but it is certainly significant indicator of where I will likely have the greatest success. So the pattern emerges...investment in career=clear measurable payoff; investment in relationships=murky returns. Another pattern revealed...my dearest friends, my confidantes are discovered and developed from random activities and actions. Often I meet my "NEXT" friend through work related activities, community related events or simply through some form of shared "space". Propinquity is powerful! Another fact pattern noted: The active search for a soul mate(s) is both time consuming and self-esteem eroding. The fact is that there are relatively few men in my age-appropriate window; fewer still that are seeking strong, smart women that do not "run marathons, surf, ski,love participating in extreme sports and pack their own parachutes, look stunning in the evening gown and bathing suit competition". It is, as you have noted, time to measure the diminishing returns. Serendipity is powerful. So I have decided to withdraw from the active relationship seeking activity. Return to the arena that I have experienced my greatest success, refocus my efforts on career, fitness, family and friends. And if the universe sends me Mr. Right, I shall be ready. Successful, rich in friendships, rooted in family and open to all possibilities, SB, Calgary
. . .
Mark: Long time reader and first time writer. But, today I have something to say or at least ponder. Today I find myself in the region of Normandy in France. Which way do I turn? Embellish the wonder of cheese and Calvados or stand in the middle of 9,387 white crosses and stars. The 9,387 is just the US; Canada, Britian and even Germany have their own resting place. Men and women who gave their life so we and others can be free to ponder musings on the internet. Our generation, everyone under about 60 or so, probably cannot comprehend the commitment and struggle to liberate half a continent. USA, British, French, Danes and Canadians all worked hand-in-hand. My comment passes all political views. "Support the President", "Get out of Irag, Viet Nam, you-name-the-country", "Make love not war" are only sayings. We say them and then retreat to the cover of our homes watching CNN or Fox News. I pray that we never have to retreat to a fox hole for cover. Today, October 14, is the birthday of General Ike, the leader of the Normandy invasion. He was elected as President just eight years later with a promise to end the fighting in Korea. A quote from a soldier on June 6, 1944 "As our boat touched sand and the ramp came down, I became a visitor to hell". May the United States, Canada and all countries never have to build another cemetery on foreign soil, Albert from Texas
. . .
Great new photograph Mark! Much better. Have a fun weekend, TL, Calgary
. . .
never would have thought of you as "awake in the middle of the night" --unable to endorse the illness intervention schemes you've been offered --like the new picture tho', rnRN, Calgary
. . .
But is it only 4? Peaks and valleys…it does seem much longer. The comfort of old friends. The knowing. I of course get to track your disasters du jour, amours du jour, penses du jour because you are so diligent in communicating, but you don’t often get to track mine these days. There is less angst, more peace, more stillness than you could imagine. And thank you for the kind words today my friend – you are and probably will always be a bright spark in my day, KT, Puerto Vallarta
. . .
Wow! Much nicer pix! Ch, Chimacum

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?