Monday, October 23, 2006

 

Monday Oct. 23, 2006 - just yesterday

6C/43F, a light breeze barely ripples the lagoon, sun rising now to greet a spectacular day; Gusta went walking in the lagoon but determined it was too cool for a swim

29 yrs. is such a short stretch; 29 yrs. ago I was 26 just as Krista is now; it seems like just yesterday

I had a belated Thanksgiving dinner yesterday with my dad; first I had a lingering cold, then he was feeling really ill – so it was time to get together

I am only 29 yrs. behind him; I wonder, when did he get old?

he shuffles about his condo without his walker, stooped, his body mis-shaped from a youth-ego-related injury + 5 back surgeries; this man who walks 9 laps around SouthCentre mall twice a week with his walker speculates maybe it is time to cut back a little; his furniture is re-arranged to make way for the walker & the scooter; he remembers anything from many years ago, but not the name of who he had dinner with the day before without looking it up – it was just yesterday

I thought I was paying attention but I didn’t notice all these changes, it wasn’t in the last few weeks or even last year, it wasn’t when he moved back to Calgary or when my mom died, it wasn’t during his working years – so when was it?

I sat there watching him manage ½ a Cornish hen, a mountain of salad, a foothill of risotto & apple pie - I caught him grinning as he showed an appetite I remember we both used to share; it wasn’t just the ‘good to the last bite’ – it was just yesterday

I look in my mirror – the 17 yr. old tennis player is still there, my 20’s days of work is still there, my 30’s & 40’s of child rearing is still there - they slipped by so fast; I see gray eating into the last of the brown, gray turning more white than gray - I wonder, when did I get old?

it was the company – not just my company, but any company; we live close, I should see him more often

I had dinner with my dad, it seems like it was just yesterday

it was

Mark
339,748

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?