Wednesday, September 13, 2006

 

Wednesday Sept. 13, 2006 - Year 4, Day 176 - on days like this

8C/46F, overcast, light rain; we walked the park route – it appears as if someone streaked through with yellow & orange paint, flinging colour indiscriminately about – not so much to create major drama, enough that a little more each day will be undetectable to the eye, but over a short while its impact will be felt; on days like this I wonder, do we recognize these tiny changes?

I have many people like this in my life; thinking about them makes me smile – some make me cringe but they are few – they come, they go – but leave a tiny tiny part of themselves behind, like the amount of space dust that lands on the earth every day; scarcely detectible but it has an impact on me, on my world, however small

every day the world turns, tilts & changes a bit – whether seasons, weather, critter drama; whether the accumulation of minute particles of space debris, eroded earth or the impact of something we humans did, the earth changes minutely on days like this, on every day; do we handle things differently today or next month because of something that happened last night at a meeting, yesterday at lunch or because someone called – or because they didn’t?

on days like this, the rain, slower pace & some mini-drama over this or that – days when I take a few minutes out of this day to re-examine THAT day that was yesterday, it provokes a need/want/desire to understand what happened, appreciate the role I played – as compared to the role I did not play – in the day’s events; are we different today than we were yesterday because of something that happened, some experience we had – or are we different for no reason at all?

on days like this I ponder the people who come into, flow out of & pass-by my life, or I theirs; our employer-employee, parent-child, partner-spouse, neighbour to neighbour relationships & the like, where we spend so much time with someone over time – these relationships have a major impact on us, but what are the impacts of the people who scarcely touch our lives?

you know the people I mean; that consistent familiar face at the dry cleaners, a receptionist on some company’s phone, the person who lets you nudge into their lane as we crawl in traffic, the member of a club who annoys you just a little but always has a warm hello; some days, days like this, these folks who barely graze our lives, the ones who never scratch our surface, they don’t scratch the paint or develop anything deep or lasting while they all subliminally affect us all

HB, you will be missed a little bit & remembered a little bit, on days like this

you had an impact on us all & that makes me smile - you will always be a welcome visitor when the time is right for you

Mark
340,708

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?