Thursday, September 28, 2006

 

Thursday Sept. 28, 2006 - Year 4, Day 191 - critically speaking

12C/53F, calm, priceless; this morning is warm, our walk through the park like walking through a Tommy Thompson painting absent the rocks; Gusta nosed a big white poodle but neither of them were in the mood for more

is it OK?

I think we forgive so many things in ourselves, the things no one knows about, the thoughts known only to ourselves

if we heard of such things in someone else we might look askance, but in ourselves it is OK, we cut ourselves lots of slack, we rationalize, we ignore

but who wants critique, really?

who wants a friend a stranger or the guy in the mirror judging us?

I want critique; I hate it in the moment, but I learn so much from it

I need critique; I hate it but it makes me better

I need critique: I hate it but it is the thing that spurs me to grow

I hate it when it happens, but I remember the critical commentary until long after praise fades away

observing others is easy, observing ourselves is something most of us avoid most of the time, but when we do it is ego driven, self serving & far too congratulatory for our own good most of the time – my view

I’m not talking about what we say about ourselves to others, but that more important dialogue we have with ourselves

that conversation we have deep inside, those telling tale signs of how we deal with people that reflects so much of what we think about ourselves deep down

deep deep down

if we are not calm, clear & true to ourselves inside how could we possibly expect to find validation anywhere else?

many would say they are far more self-critical than they deserve but I disagree; I think if we were ½ as harsh on ourselves as we are on others we might be giving ourselves some constructive critique – or, we might rethink how judgmental we are of others

every once in a while a hand knifes out of a crowd to shake my hand saying ‘nice to finally meet you’; one such character, by that I mean a man of much character reached out; I spent some time with him (SB) yesterday, we spent a long while chatting about musings, about how it started, how it works etc; he said nice things, I smiled appreciatively; I learned more about him & his business; nice to get acquainted

. . . . it just occurred to me that we have quite a few musers with SB initials!

Mark
340,348

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?