Saturday, September 23, 2006

 

Saturday Sept. 23, 2006 - Year 4, Day 186 - first date or second

0C/32F, clear, sun rising as there is just enough breeze to make me tear up, Gusta loves rolling in the frosty grass

to my Jewish friends, Good Yontif, happy new year as they celebrate Rosh Hashanah marking Jewish Year 5767, a long way from their first

I feel so much better this morning; it wasn’t the Coho salmon for dinner last night (thanks DL for coming by to share it) nor the exercise; it wasn’t the exercise yesterday or the loss of 4.5 lbs. in the last 2 weeks; it wasn’t the new client or any new idea, it wasn’t the weekend ahead or the week put behind me

we live our lives with so many memories of our firsts, but we forget our seconds

the other day, at the Bonton, the clerk who might be a year or two older than me asked, ever so diplomatically, if I knew they had a Senior’s discount on Mondays for customers over 55? being 5 weeks ‘over’ I accepted my ‘first’ legitimate 15% off; I’ve been paying the senior’s rate at the movies for years, but this is the first time I was offered a legitimate senior’s discount, what a memory!

how many firsts do we get?

how many do we remember?

when we are young, or at least when I was, the firsts were always big events

first tooth, first step, first day of school, first bike, first heartthrob, first job, first date, first kiss, first base, first driver’s license, first time, first car, first marriage, first gray hair, first born, first business, first divorce - there are many more, but you get the point

most of us remember our significant firsts, but who remembers the seconds?

second helpings, second choices, second times, just a few seconds, second-hand, second string, second efforts, second time around, second base – who remembers those?

in days of duels, the dueling party always had a second close at hand - a nice tradition, the second was there to help; someone to be there for you to help celebrate your success, someone to comfort you in grief, tragedy or failure

the second was not there all the time, just when needed; I’d like to have a second, I’d like to be one too

one of those ‘I’ll be there for you’, ‘you be there for me’ kind of arrangements

I rationalized that I found it many times since, undoubtedly learning that the lackluster first date assured me that the second likely wouldn’t be much better

then there was that incredibly stupid second marriage that led to a second divorce as surely as anything could be sure

its not that I dislike the exploring, the search, the hunt; I’ve been there/done that so many times

I thought I found the brilliant moment of magical light three times; each failed to be the right long term solution, but each is a memory that will never be forgotten, each a precious memory of incredible magic; some lights burn for years, some only a few months, others for a few precious weeks

what a light!

I want another ‘second chance’,

not there all the time, just when needed

when there has been a first meeting, is the next time the first date or second?

Mark
340,468

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?