Monday, September 18, 2006

 

Monday Sept. 18, 2006 - Year 4, Day 181 - near & far



-1C/30F, calm, wisps of chimney breath list away from many roofs in a gentle breeze, frost on windshields; Gusta lunged at rabbits - she knew they were there, invisible in the inky shadows while crescent moon & those milky way billions of stars lit the way

lunch with my dad yesterday; SB stopped by for a quick visit, chats with several friends cheered me while I worked like a little beaver so I could get some sleep before starting this week with an early morning trek to Edmonton for a meeting & several pieces of business, coffee with daughter Carla, dinner at the Noodle House with daughter Krista, & back again this evening

each day I try, each day I learn, each day I make some progress – I think I do anyway – in learning a little more about the part of the world I live in, about the people I live near (including over 4900 musers at last count in various corners of the planet) – it seems so close & intimate at one moment, so remote & daunting just as quickly

the world is such a big place yet we live in our tiny corner of it, oblivious to most of what happens on this planet; we pretend via internet & media to be ‘staying in touch’ but mostly most of us are not most of the time; I try but the reality of people 2 provinces over is just as foreign to me as is the life of someone ½ way round the world

each time I visit Edmonton lately (7 yrs now since I moved back to Calgary) I feel both familiar & out of touch; at first I thought I would be doing lots of work in both cities & I was

frequent back & forth kept me focused the first couple of years, but now the trips are less business, more social, less familiar, more exploration of what’s new, less a going home & more a going away

staying connected, staying in touch, at a humble 200 miles seems beyond me anymore

today I will try

Mark
340,588

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?