Friday, September 08, 2006

 

Friday Sept. 8, 2006 - Year 4, Day 171 - just own them



9C/48F, cloudless & hazy again produced a spectacular moonset & sunrise; morning chill tells me I won’t be walking in shorts much longer

my morning will be full of cleaning up 2 weeks worth of loose ends & several MUST things mean I MUST do before I leave for Provost . . . a leisurely 6 hr. drive with the sun at my back

I really like the free-ing feeling that comes with something let go, discarded or cancelled when deep down, that was the choice to make; reasons, circumstances & motivation vary when MY 'right thing to do' emerges; each time that happens I feel an instantaneous zing the moment the decision is made, the message delivered, the conversation over or when I just hit send!

then, ‘why didn’t I do this a long time ago?’, ‘what took me so long?’ or something like that rolls through my brain; the time for me to say no, not, nyet, uh-uh, oh-no, furrrrget-it-mister etc. had come, it was time, the choice was clear

it seems I've been making a lot of these decisions lately; time will tell what percentage are good ones, but I really like the momentum; these moments rarely are as immediate as the were when I was much younger; immediate knee-jerk actions/reactions have morphed into something more mature but I think the more important distinction is that they are real, clear & measured against the issues, values & objectives that rest very comfortably in my belly

sometimes the choice comes late, later or way too late – more often the timing is just right, because the ‘now moment’ of making it was so perfect, correct & unwavering; it seems too, that when those events happen that I get on a roll, I make several somewhat unconnected/unrelated decisions

I don’t think it is adrenalin/momentum or a devil-may-care attitude; I think each time I make a decision that I might have agonized over for some time, two things often follow

the first, perhaps the most obvious, is that one decision often triggers others that are sort of logical progressions from the first decision & so on & so on & so on . .

the second is that making decisions, taking actions to do what I have resolved – usually without discussion with anyone else – feels good, the reluctance overcome (like Newton’s law of inertia I suppose) is that once in motion, it is easy to stay in motion

this quote made me smile: ‘The hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which to burn.’- David Russell

when we need to punt someone from our life, end a business connection, fire someone or simply vote with our feet to cease doing business with someone – commercial or personal – it is easy with hindsight to agree with Russell; of late, when it has been ‘end something’ time , I’ve probably been thinking more of Gladwell’s Blink view than that of Russell, whether or not there is a bridge involved, the key is to own the choice

my view & recommendation to anyone who will listen is this - don’t wrestle with fear, uncertainty & doubt - be proud of choices you make - just own them

some will be right, many will be wrong - but sitting still in fear of making those decisions, while itself a choice, usually keeps us in a place that is not a healthy one

Newton said something about objects at rest tending to stay that way; now motion is another matter, because things in motion tend to stay in motion

I think making decisions & owning them is a great place to start

Mark
340,828

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?