Thursday, August 31, 2006

 

Thursday Aug. 31, 2006 - Year 4, Day 163 - 2 rabbits in the dark



7C/45F, lightly overcast & damp; we walked at first light when nothing in the neighbourhood was moving except that Gusta’s nose wanted to chase 2 rabbits bounding off in opposite directions to her confusion, my amusement - these gray guys had more white fur than I expected

why must we all figure it out, 1 at a time, by ourselves?

"One can choose to go back toward safety or forward toward growth. Growth must be chosen again and again; fear must be overcome again and again." - Abraham Maslow

observing nature, observing behaviours of those around us, observing our own moods, quirks & shifts is beyond interesting; it fascinates me

as I observe myself I learn more slowly than I do from observing others; it is very comfortable to look at others because we, I think, judge ourselves far more harshly than we might ever judge (as if we have the right!) someone else; I know I do

the 2 deer in the light were not safe, any more than 2 rabbits in the dark; each has its natural enemies, each has its shortcomings that put them in harm’s way

if we each have within us the stuff & qualities of a higher-life form , we should be able to keep safer than the deer & the rabbit; we know so much more, understand so much more, we are the highest smartest life form

if we are so smart, why are we human critters so collectively troubled?

we can pretend to be as innocent as the deer & the rabbit – we will meet a fate like theirs or worse if we do; it won’t be a fender or a coyote or a hawk that does us in; we will be our own undoing, we will be solely responsible – but few of us will hold ourselves accountable

fewer still will do something preventative; if more of us did, would our world be better?

I think so

surely today, when all the data from all of time, all the wisdom of the self-help, psycho-babble & intellectuality of life can now be stored on less than ½ the head of a pin, we smart humans have not yet developed a micro-processor to synthesize that into 10 simple rules, 7 simple rules, 1 simple rule to explain it all, make sense of it all, to have us all live productive happy lives of joy - how do we all figure it out?

perhaps we should listen more, talk less – I know I need to

perhaps we should touch each other more, hold back less – I need to do that better

we need to let people get closer to us, open up more - being truthful, being open, being 'in the moment' is easy to do if we keep the core of our being protected & hidden; not so easy when we struggle to pry ourselves open to reach the center, to expose that center to another human being

like 2 rabbits in the dark

someone wrote me this morning - in response to my profile on an internet dating site where I lamented that too often a great beginning sizzle often ends in a fizzle within that 2-12 week opening act; her critique deserved response, so here it is: 'perhaps my words on the profile do not fully explain; I DO want to meet someone where the magic lasts & lasts; I was simply pointing out that I often find that impressive early connections have a short shelf life - not because I don't want them to last, but because the 'secret sauce' or 'fairy dust' is absent - that mix of brains & caring, the mix of lust & learning, the laughter & play . . on a very high level is challenging to find; I don't want to settle, I don't want to have half-measures for me or for a partner; I want the full meal deal. That said, something that looks really good in the beginning must be an incredible combo to pass the early tests any budding relationship is put to. That means getting deeply to the core of someone, and . . letting one's guard down so a counterpart can get just as close; I've had that level of magic 3 times in my life so I don't believe it is so elusive as to settle for something less . . yeah . . that's it . . in a spirt of reciprocity . . uh . .huh .. that's it !


like 2 rabbits in the dark


a few comments on yesterday’s feedback:

yesterday’s musings & AK’s contribution generated lots of discussion . . thanks all

several times over the last 3 yrs. I published the ‘Dash’ poem first sent to me by BP from Mexico City; it had a big impact on me & numerous other musers; we did not know the author but liked it all the same; this morning KN, a precious platinum part of my dash, sent me a link you might all want to check out (see below) by Linda Ellis http://www.thedashmovie.com


To PF: I’ve had lots of feedback . some written, some verbal . .from musers; some thought I was being critical or inappropriate, others wished me well with my ‘Irish Lovely’ . . some made inappropriate (in my view) comments – I told them to stuff it; as for you, you are desirable & worth anyone’s effort. If you were interested in me I’d surely make the effort as would, I think, any red blooded Canadian man would leap at the chance to get close to you

To GR: you put your nose/foot in it yesterday; we volleyed notes that will NOT be published; Georges, no need to stop writing . . . . but . . if I wrote you & told you how to run your life you would likely not smile; neither do I when someone tells me how to run mine . . especially so when they are commenting on something where they lack knowledge of the circumstances; people who reply to musings see their responses printed unless, as you did, they cross that line . . or they use profanity

Mark
341,020

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?