Thursday, August 17, 2006

 

Thursday Aug. 17, 2006 - Year 4, Day 149 - easy choice

9C/43F, sunny & calm; our walk revealed lots of wet paw prints on the paved path that drove Gusta the sniffing machine a little nuts but otherwise uneventful calm stroll through the woods

[when my internet service goes down as it did this morning, my comfort level seems to ease when I ring Shaw to hear a recording advising ‘service is out’ as opposed to confirmation I’ve been a techno-idiot somehow; these brief moments demonstrate how personal & business lives (mine anyway) are SO connected to being SO connected – fretting about if/when/how long we might be out-of-touch, albeit for just a short while, invades & alters my calm mood; I am sure that if/when I ‘go blackberry’ the short term anxiety will grow rather than shrink]

‘There can be no friendship without confidence, and no confidence without integrity.’ – Samuel Johnson

my PREPARATION yesterday produced an unnecessarily wasted morning, a great speech (I thought so) but I did not win(drat, drat, dribble, double drat) however, the day produced a wealth of learning, an ethics class style-dilemma-drama, some fun & some new prospects on several fronts; thanks Susan#5 for your wise counsel which I largely took – except for doing the one thing you strongly advised me not to do, which I did anyway because I need to be who I am or nothing works

I figured the fledgling friendship, well begun, was worth it/is worth it

if my steps backfire, the worst that can happen is that I lose an opportunity to capture a finite quantity of business from one client – the option I chose still risks that friendship I suppose, but the way I figure it ANY other course of action risks the friendship absolutely, full stop – easy choice

Q. would I pass on a business opportunity in favour of a genuine friendship that matters?
A. every time – easy choice

in the investment world the terms ‘full, plain & clear disclosure’ are supposed to be endemic however that does not mean that any person or company so governed in one area of their business carries that requirement into any other area of their work

our (my colleague & I) education & work paid off with some learning that will make us SO much more effective, reminding us that instant communication does NOT equal truth & understanding - ouch!

in business we seek 'most trusted advisor' status with those we call customer/client; it seems we need not ask - it is there or it is not - but when it is, we feel SO connected

in friendships we seek that ‘most trusted friend’ status; it seems there that if we need to ask, that status is not there while, if it is, there is no need to ask

the most important choice we make is the quality of the friendship we create with ourselves to be SO connected that we never lose sight of who we are which, sometimes with some deliberation, makes decisions an easy choice - every time

Mark
341,356

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?